Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY  (Read 9214 times)

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A photo and transcription of the Peter Stewart family memorial which I got some time ago from a kind volunteer on this site had "son Peter died at New York 16-6-1914 aged 55 y".

Curiosity led me to the Cypress Hills National Cemetery in Brooklyn NY and a photo of a tombstone for United States Marine Corps Gunnery Sgt. Peter Stewart, Medal of Honor recipient died 17-6-1914.  The Medal of Honor is the highest US award for valour, equivalent to the Victoria Cross in the UK and here in Canada.  He was awarded this for his actions during the Boxer Rebellion in 1900.

I have very strong evidence that the Peter Stewart memorialized in Leslie Cemetery is the same Peter Stewart buried in a military cemetery in NY and am now trying to get the USMC to change their date of birth for this man from 17 Feb 1858 to his dob in Airdrie of 1 Feb 1859 and his date of death from 17 June 1914 to 16 June 1914.  I have a copy of a letter from the USMC to Peter's sister Helen (listed above him on the family stone) giving her the correct date while they engraved the wrong date on his stone in NY!

To assist me in dealing with the USMC I would appreciate a photo showing as clearly as possible the inscriptions for Helen & Peter Stewart jr in a single closeup photo.

Thanks in advance
Marshall

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of 2 tombstones - Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 13:23 GMT (UK) »
There is an entry on the New York City death index at www.italiangen.org for a Peter Stewart who died 17 Jun. 1914 at age 54 in Manhattan.

You may be able to get a copy of the death certificate for free through the Family History Center's photoduplication service.  https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Photoduplication_Services

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of 2 tombstones - Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marshall

This was your original request here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=571618.9

Looking for inscription/photo of headstone of Peter Stewart who died 31 mar 1888 and his wife Euphemia Hamilton who died later at a seemingly unregistered date.

I have asked NorrieG via PM to have a look a this new post to try to help.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Just for background to the post, the stone for Peter Stewart at the Cypress Hills National Cemetery www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=18841

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 14:51 GMT (UK) »
This is the family you have for Peter who died in NY?

From 1861:

Peter Stewart 38 Foreman Papermaker, Carrington, Edinburghshire
Euphemia Stewart 34 b. Lasswade, Edinburghshire
James Stewart 10
Marrion Stewart 8
Thomas Stewart 6
Ann Stewart 4
Peter Stewart 2 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQPP-3QH
Helen Stewart 3 Months https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYRV-SZ5
Marion Hamilton 59 visitor b. Peebles
David Hamilton 5 visitor b. Dundee

Address: Leslie, Fife

Monica

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
The transcriptions of the Spanish-American War-era military records with two different enlistments indicate that Peter Stewart gave a birth date of 1 Feb. 1858.  So, a little closer to the date you had, although not exact. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I think this is him too in 1910 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKL6-5DQ - his occupation showing as Gunner in the Navy Yard.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
1900 entry gives his birth detail as Feb 1859 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M31F-RK4 - Occuaption Gunnery Sergeant.

This entry gives his migration year as 1882. 1910 gave 1890. Wonder if he was in Scotland for 1881? He was there up to 1871 with family but can't see him with his parents in Leslie Fife for 1881. By 1881, Peter Snr shows as a Papermaker's Manager living at Fettykil. An insight into that here www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/fife/papermaking-returns-to-leslie-s-fettykil-mill-1.51422

Monica

PS: Marshall, likely you have all of this, but it is a great slice of life research here  :) What is your connection, if any, to Peter Stewart? He was single I think from what we have up to 1910. I get the feeling it is an impassioned piece of research here which we really like to help with here  ;)

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi MonicaL & Marshall
this is the inscription from Leslie Cemetery Fife
for Peter Stewart & Euphemia Hamilton

305      Peter Stewart who died 31.3.1888 age 65
      daughter Janet died 12.3.1870 age 1
      son James died 16.3.1872 age 22
      Wife Euphemia Hamilton died 19.5.1903 age 82?

NorrieG
Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish