Author Topic: WW1 Royal Navy service record help please  (Read 851 times)

Offline Discoveringmypast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 Royal Navy service record help please
« on: Sunday 23 November 14 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Can anyone help deciphering the attached service record of my great uncle in the Royal Navy during WW1 please?

It would appear he went from a Boy II to an ordinary then able seaman at the start of WW1.

It looks like he served on HMS Centurion from July 1914 to Dec 1915.  The record then appears to jump to 1917 when he served on HMS Vivid - can anyone shed any light on why that would be - am I reading it incorrectly?

There seems to be a gap in his service but I know from his medal records he received the Star, Victory and British medals and I don't believe he was injured.

Also can anyone make out anything else from this record that may be useful about his badges and on the right hand side where it shows his character, ability and remarks.  I think it shows VG, Sat and Sup, presumably very good and satisfactory, but I can't understand the other writing.

Many thanks for any help.
Sue

Offline shawsboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Royal Navy service record help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 14 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I dont think there is a break in his service most times when you get drafted to a ship you stay on it for a year or more so he was probably on Centurion for that period before going to Vivid.I my self spent over 3 years on an aircraft carrier in the 60s. his record also says he spent 4 years on HMS Tiger from June 1917 - 1921

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 14 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I am not an expert on this at all but he seems to have been on Resolution in January 1924 when she hit and sunk a British submarine.
There is then a gap in his record till November?
Mike

Offline shawsboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 November 14 18:44 GMT (UK) »
I am not totally sure about this but if you look at  4th to 16th Jan 1924 next to that is CP (corporal punishment ?) and below that is 42 days what looks like an abreviation for detention. maybe he committed an offence and got time in jankers ! also at that time his character and ability rating went down to fair and satisfactory, I cant make out the words for the 21st november 24 but next day he is back on resolution till march 1926. the best i can do .

Offline Discoveringmypast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 November 14 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for not being able to get back before - thank you all for your replies.  It's certainly given me more to think about his time in the navy - and corporal punishment looks possible!  It's amazing what can be found on the service records if you know what to look for.

I will look at it again tomorrow and research a bit more about the ships he served on.

Many thanks again.
Sue