Author Topic: Cassidy`s in Humbie,Haddington & Edinburgh 19th century  (Read 26775 times)

Offline cassbart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cassidy`s in Humbie,Haddington & Edinburgh 19th century
« on: Wednesday 03 November 10 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information on a Cassidy family that moved to Humbie, Haddington & finally Edinburgh in the mid to late 1800`s, from the parish of Cloone Ireland. There are three families:
Philip & Bridget Cassidy and their family : James,Patrick,Peter,John,Charles and a daughter Rose. they appear on the 1871 census in Humbie.
John & Ann and their families : Felix, Ann,Mary,James. and they appear on the census for Haddington and Humbie in 1851,1861,
Then both sets of parents either die or just disappear off the radar. However I do have some information on the children especially Felix & James Cassidy.
Do any of these families strike a cord with anyone ?
Thank you. Evelyn Judd (nee Cassaday)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cassidy`s in Humbie,Haddington & Edinburgh 19th century
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 11 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cassbart,

I used to pal about with two brothers called Peter and Paul Cassidy who lived at Joppa, this is at the end of Portobello and near the start of Musselburgh, Peter owns the Crown Hotel at Peebles and Paul own a Pub not far from it.

The fathers name was Lawrence or Laurence but I believe his first wife died and he re-married, he had two older children to his first marriage, I think the oldest was a girl called Mary but don't quote me on that, there was also a son from that marriage called after his father, these two were a lot older nearly ten years so I never had anything in common with them.

They used to own the Cafe at the old Portobello open swimming pool, the difference between the older two was they were dark haired and Peter and Paul were fair to ginger, I think Peter is around 65 now and Paul around 63.

My dad knew their father well, on looking at this the Cassiday family must have lived within Portobello in the early years, my dad must have known the father when they were at school, they were all Roman Catholic.

There again this may not be the family you are looking for.

Regards.

Archie.

Offline cassbart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 11 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Archie,
Thank you for replying. You are the first one out of 245 people who have read my message.
I would love to share any information that I have with the Cassidy family you have mentioned. I have only recently returned from Scotland and the Scotlandspeople centre and have identified two more possible connections and would love to find out more about my fathers family.
Best wishes.
Evelyn Judd ( nee Cassaday)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 11 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Evelyn,

Having looked at Templar's reply about his Cassidy's being Catholic, I checked Scotland Peoples Catholic files, Births & Baptisms 20 male 16 female Cassidy's in Haddington St Marys. In Banns and Marriages, 4 male Cassidy's and 9 female Cassidys. They could be some of your relations.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline cassbart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 January 11 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,
I was in the Scotlands people centre at the end of September, and I have been on their website many times. I think that almost all of the registrations there belong either to John & Ann Cassidy or to their eldest son Felix & his wife Mary.
Unfortunately I can`t find any record death or weddings or baptism`s for my family i.e. those belonging to Philip and Bridget Cassidy. I have the family on the census for 1871 and  their son John and his wife Elizabeth in 1891. Otherwise they seem to have disappeared.
My grandfather was Charles Cassidy and he joined the 93rd Highland regiment in 1878 when he was eighteen.
All of the above people I am as certain as I can be are related as I have them living together sometimes on the same townlands in Ireland and then again when they appear on the census in Scotland.

Thanks for your help though and I will look again at the Scotlandspeople website. I thoroughly rec comend it to anyone trying to research their families the centre especially is excellent.

Evelyn Judd. (nee Cassaday)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 January 11 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Evelyn,

the first born I can find in Haddington is Catherine Cassidy born 23-3-1856  father THOMAS CASSIDY Mother BIDDY REILOR.

Check the spellings of names also some below have moved about and are mentioned in other areas, this is all I can find in East Lothian, I will try Midlothian and see what crops up there, are you in the UK or abroad ?.

Cheers.

Archie.

HADDINGTON MARRIAGES

Bridget Cassidy married James McGovern 16-7-1855
John Cassidy married Ann McGovern 11-9-1855
Catherine Cassidy married Pat Muloy 7-4-1856
Ann Cassiday married Michael Kean 29-10-1860
Catherine Cassiday married John McKeon 12-11-1860
Mary Cassidy married Patrick MacDonald 8-1-1869
James Cassidy married Ellen Kilbane 17-5-1869
John Cassiday married Bridget Clines 21-5-1874

HUMBIE BIRTHS

Catharine Cassidy born 1-5-1859 parents John Cassidy and Ann McGovern.

James Cassady born 30 9-1856, Catharine Cassidy born 23-5-1859, John Cassedy born 27-7-1862, Elizabeth Cassedy born 9-4-1865, Margaret Cassedy born 27-7-1868, Felix Cassidy born 9.-7-1871, parents Felix Cassidy and Mary Ann Hay. sometimes ( Hayes ).

HUMBIE MARRIAGES

Felix Cassady married Mary Ann Hayes 10-10-1850.

ABERLADY BIRTHS

Bridget Cassady born 1-10-1864 parent -mother Bridget Cassady no father mentioned.

BOLTON MARRIAGES

Catherine Cassidy married Patrick Mulvay 6-4-1856.

DUNBAR BIRTHS

Biddy Cassidy born 25-9-1857 parents Thomas Cassidy and Biddy Callaghan.

ORMISTON BIRTHS

Francis Cassidy born 25-9-1871 parents James Cassidy and Ellen Kilbane.

Margaret Cassidy born 1-3-1874 parents James Cassidy and Helen Kilharnie. ( I think these are same as above ).

SALTOUN BIRTHS

Mary Ann Cassidy born 7-9-1856 parents John Cassiday and Ann McGovern.

John Cassady born 24-3-1870 parents James Cassady and Helen Kilban.

TRANENT BIRTHS

Rosaina Cassidy 11-6-1859 parent Bridget Cassidy no father mentioned

Offline cassbart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 January 11 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Archie,
I have these folk. Some are connected to me  such as ones relating to Felix Cassidy and James, but  most of the others are not. I wish they were but when I checked them out at the scotlandspeople centre they had different parentage.  It is strange though that they should all be residing either in or close to Humbie. Thanks for the infomation though.
Evelyn. J

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 January 11 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Evelyn,

My mother's Family came from Ireland and settled down possibly in Haddington, I found them there and their marriage, but being farm people they moved around a lot, they were round East Lothian and ended up in Midlothian, again they moved a few times and ended at this location Liberton, Edinburgh.

I have tried to trace my ggrandmother who was a Buchan but thanks to one of our friends on this site she told me the name was Bohan or Bohannan, so variation in spellings can put you right off, we will find them I am sure.

When the Census was taken many did not fill it in, or were perhaps on the move at the time so again they would not be seen, ages as well can be wrong again putting us off, I believe that the Census taker in East Lothian made a right mess of it one time.

I have looked at the Midlothian side and there are loads of them, would you like me to send these off or would you rather I did not ?.

They could have went to the Borders to work have you thought of that, but we have to remember that Industry took off in Scotland around then, many of the younger ones may have gone to work in the big Mills, Lasswade was one of many, or factories of some kind or even emigrated.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline cassbart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 January 11 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Archie,
I would be very grateful if you would send me what you have.
My Greatgrandfather Philip  Cassidy and his wife Bridget sons Patrick and Peter have dissapeared altogether. Not even a death recorded in Scotland, England or back in Ireland. So any help you can give me is much appreciated.
Best wishes. Evelyn.