Author Topic: Emilia Mcpherson Ardersier  (Read 3972 times)

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Emilia Mcpherson Ardersier
« on: Friday 05 May 06 16:20 BST (UK) »
I am seeking any help,info useful hints on how to find anything on James McPherson & Amelia/Emilia/Emily Fraser.
On their daughter Isabella's Death Certificate in Inverness 1866 her son my GGGrandfather gives her parents as James McPherson Chelsea Pensioner & Amelia McPherson.The IGI has five children born to them from 1793 in Daviot &Dunlichity 1800 &1805 Ardersier,1803 Nairn & 1808 Inverness.
I am presuming that James was posted at Ardersier when the children were born.
Does anybody know of any place I could find out which Regiments were where at those times as I would be very keen to find out his Regiment/Service.?
The children names are Allan-1805
Emilia-1800
Janet-1793-not sure on this one!
John-1808
Isabel/lla-1803-although her age is given as 60 in 1866.
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emilia Mcpherson Ardersier
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 14 12:08 BST (UK) »
HI
I have just been reading about 'The Scottish Regiments' by Major Ian H Mackay Scobie FSA  It looks like it was the Seaforth Highlanders who were at Fort George at that time. They were originally an amalgamation of a number of smaller regiments from Rossshire however a second battalion was recreated in 1804 and inspected by the Marquis of Huntly the following year. They appeared to have stayed at home for a short while before going to Gibraltar, Italy, Egypt (1807) then (1809) Holland. This battalion seems to have been disbanded in 1816/17. There was a lot of amalgamation and disbanding due to Govt instructions at the time.
I hope this helps a little. Irene

Offline Almeda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emilia Mcpherson Ardersier
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 August 21 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this was posted ages ago.  My ancestor was Isabella Ross.  I have found a record showing a James McPherson who was retired from the Scots Fusiliers because he had to have his right leg amputated and was 'referred' to the Chelsea Pensioners.  Up to 1955 they were responsible for the pensions of injured ex servicemen.  This James was born in 1763 and left the fusiliers in 1795 at the age of 32.  He was born in Kingussie.  This information was on Find My Past (National Archives)

Have you been able to find out any more about James and Emilia - I have struggled to do so