Author Topic: John Richardson born 1808 Plymouth, Devon  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Richardson born 1808 Plymouth, Devon
« on: Sunday 29 June 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
My ancestor John Richardson born 1808 Plymouth, Devon and was the son of John Richardson.
I believe his year of birth to be exact going from census and his record of being in the merchant navy.
I can not find his baptism though and wondered if there are records online covering 1808-1809 for Plymouth online?
Hope some one can help!
Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Richardson born 1808 Plymouth, Devon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 June 14 18:02 BST (UK) »
See Genuki Devon for a comprehensive list inc non conformist chapels in Plymouth http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Plymouth/index.html

Circa WWI the three boroughs of Plymouth, Devonport [Stoke Dameral] and East Stonehouse merged but often prior to that people used the generic term "Plymouth" when announcing their place of birth keep that in mind if you do not find the baptism in the actual registers of Plymouth. Quite often a marriage occurred in one borough and a baptism in a neighbouring borough.Most records transcribed are from 1813 when a new standardised form of church registers began - the volunteers and societies making the transcriptions found it less of a challenge to use the better laid out records. The period that you are interested in is not normally [as yet] transcribed. You will either personally or via a researcher need to search either the P&WDRO at Plymouth or the Devon Heritage Centre at Sowton, Exeter. Recently P&WDRO has loaded records on Find My Past which may be cheaper than employing a researcher so try there first. However as described in Genuki you may need to widen your search to non conformists but the two main parishes were St Andrew and Charles.

The IGI Family Search covers about 60% of Devon Parishes.
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Richardson born 1808 Plymouth, Devon
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 June 14 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks that's a huge help
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.