Author Topic: McGee & McFadden of Falkirk  (Read 7846 times)

Offline HPW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGee & McFadden of Falkirk
« on: Thursday 30 October 08 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate any assistance or information about the following families from Falkirk, Stirlingshire:
Helen McGee born abt 1894-1897 in Camelon, Falkirk was the daughter of Richard McGee.  In 1926 he lived at 27 Main Street, Camelon. 

Helen McGee married Charles McFadden (who I also believe was from Falkirk) around 1921.  Their first child, Helen Elsie McFadden was born  on June 4, 1922 in Falkirk.  They emigrated to Montreal, Canada around 1923 where they had 3 more children:  Hugh McIvor b 1924, George McGee b 1926 and Nancy b about 1933.

Any information regarding the McGee and McFadden families would be much appreciated.  I have not found a marriage record which of course would be very helpful.

Sincerely, Helen Wyse, Canada
McFadyen, McGhee, Nelson/Neilson, McKeevor/McIvor/McIver, Gemmels, Fleming, Turner
Farr, Keep, Hatt, Draper, Libby, Martin, Bacon
Milne, Swan, Griffith, Hawkins, Foy, McCarthy, Gallwey, Caffary/Caffrey, Margaret

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McGee & McFadden of Falkirk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 October 08 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Helen,

Welcome to Rootschat.

Unfortunately I don't have any credits left for Scotland's People but I found your couple's marriage using the free search facility.

The info to key in is as follows:
Charles MCFADYEN
Helen McGEE
Falkirk

Anne

Offline HPW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 October 08 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.  I will follow up.  Helen
McFadyen, McGhee, Nelson/Neilson, McKeevor/McIvor/McIver, Gemmels, Fleming, Turner
Milne, Swan, Griffith, Hawkins, Foy, McCarthy, Gallwey, Caffary/Caffrey, Margaret

Offline HPW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 November 08 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the families of:

Hugh McFadyen and Annie McKeevor/McIvor who were named as the parents of Charles McFadden (age 20)  on his marriage record in 1916.  Hugh was listed as deceased.

Richard McGhee was born  in Falkirk (in 1856 according to the 1891 census and 1867 according to the 1901 census) and his wife Ann Nelson was born in 1869 (according to both census reports).  Their children (all born in Falkirk) were Margaret b 1889, Celia b 1892, Lizzie b 1892, George b 1895 and Helen b 1897 according to the 1901 census. 

I have not been able to find any of the births, marriages and other census reports  through online seaches over the past 3 weeks. I have used all the variant spelling that I can think of.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Sincerely, Helen Wyse, Canada

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 November 08 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

I think I'm possibly getting mixed up . . . . . .  ???

According to the 1881 Cencus, there is only one McGee/McGie/McGhie/Magee family in Falkirk, and they are as follows:

Living at Back Row, Falkirk

Richard McGie, Head, age 38, General Labourer, born Glasgow (born c1843)
Elizabeth McGie, age 38, Wife, born Falkirk (born c1843)
Elizabeth McGie, born 1863, died 1863 (see below)
Richard McGie, age 15, Moulder, born Falkirk (born c 1866)
Margaret McGie, age 13, born Falkirk (born c1868)
Sophia McGie, age 6, born Falkirk (born c1875)
Janet McGie, age 4, born Falkirk (born c1877)
Elizabeth McGie, age 1, born Falkirk (born c1880)
Annie McGie, age 4m, born Falkirk (born c1881)

But . . . . . . . . there is a McGhee Family in Kilsyth, as follows:

Living at Church Street:

William McGhee, age 52, Head, Coal Miner, born Ireland
Annie McGhee, age 45, Wife, born Kippen (Stirlingshire)
Richard McGhee, age 7, Nephew, Scholar, born Kilsyth

I thought it a bit odd that there were no births to the first family between 1868 and 1875. I thought maybe the mother, Elizabeth had died, so, on Scotland's People I entered the search criteria of:

McG*e, Elizabeth, death between 1869 and 1870 - I found the following:

(Elizabeth McGhee, died at West Bridge Street, Falkirk on 29th November 1863 aged 14 days
Parents: Richard McGhee, Carter and Elizabeth McGhee (nee Gemmels)
Cause of Death: Infantile .....?)

It doesn't answer the question of the 'gap' years later on, but it does add another child to the list and at the same time, confirm that Elizabeth's maiden name was Gemmels.

Anne

Offline HPW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 December 08 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne:  Thank you so much for the clever work with the census records and the death of Elizabeth in 1863.  I have followed-up your work and indeed, the 1881 census record was for Richard McGhee and Elizabeth Gemmels.  I have found several of the childrens' baptism records on LDS and they all line up.  I got the marriage record for Richard McGhee and Elizabeth Gemmels July 1, 1862, Falkirk which lists his parents as: Richard McGhee and Margaret Turner.  I cannot make all of the writing out as it is a very poor copy but Elizabeths parents are listed as ----Gemmels, deceased and Elizabeth MacRorie.  I have seached some of the parish records and I think that her name is more likely Elizabeth McCrorie but I will have to do a lot more work to figure that out. 

As far as the McFadyens go the birth record for Charles May 21, 1895, Rowantreefauld, Lennoxtown gave his parents as Hugh McFadyen, chemical work labourer and Annie McIvor married Feb 2, 1892 in Saint Johnston (Donegal) near Londonderry, Ireland.  I then found a death record for Hugh McFadyen Dec 13, 1896, age 26 years.  It lists his parents as Charles McFadyen and Rebecca Fleming, both deceased.  I have not had any luck in finding these folks in either Scotland or Ireland but I will keep trying.

Thanks to you, I have been able to establish these families in Scotland.  I am very, very grateful for your help.  I will continue my search for these families but at least I now have some names, locations and verification that they are my folks.

Sincerely, Helen

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 December 08 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Glad to hear you've been able to make some sense of it all Helen!

If the Marriage Certificate you got for Richard & Elizabeth was from Scotland's People, you should contavt them and let them know the image was practically illegible. They're usually quite good at sending you a better copy (after all, what's the point of paying for something you can't read!)

You could post a section of the the certificate here and we could all have a go a de-cyphering it. (Don't post the whole image as that breaks copyright laws)

As for the Mc/Mac issue - I wouldn't bother too much with the spelling if everything else ties up. The further back you go, the spellings get wonderfully varied! Not everyone was literate and depended on clergy or census ennumerators getting it right based on how it sounded.

Anne

Offline bbaillie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen,

I was doing a bit of looking around for information about my grandmother and noticed your posts. My grandmother's parents were Hugh McFadyen born abt. 1870 deceased Dec 13 1896 in Lennoxtown, he married his wife June 2 1892 in Londonderry Ireland, one Annie McIver born abt. 1863 and died June 29 1922 in Camelon. Annie later remarried.

My grandmother was their first child Sophia McFadyen born May 26, 1893 in Lennoxtown and died in Camelon. My grandmother had a younger brother named Charles who moved to Montreal and the family lost touch with him. From information I have, Charles would have had 4 children namely Hugh, Ellen, George, and Nancy. The information is kind of hard to decipher but that's the best I can do. I have much more, but its best to confirm, I can tell you how Hugh McFadyen died

My mother always asked if I could find George McFadyen in Montreal, I never knew why, but it appears George was her cousin.

Sincerely,
Brian Baillie

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 April 12 21:46 BST (UK) »
Your request was posted a few years ago so maybe by now you have found the info you were looking for but if you haven't I was a Falkirk McFadden but from the names you give I don't seem to connect with them. However do you know that Golen in Donegal Ireland is full of McFaddens and where my family originated. The irish censuses can be accessed for free and Golen has a site for leaving messages re searching for relatives, this is also free.

Maureen