Author Topic: Driscoll - Neil - Rineen, Castlehaven to Rotherhithe  (Read 18254 times)

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
Re: Driscoll - Neil - Rineen, Castlehaven to Rotherhithe
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 April 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
William Smith O'Brien Petition, 1848-49
Timothy Driscoll, Borough of Kinsale
John Driscoll, Borough of Kinsale  #  Could this be him?
Jas Driscoll, Borough of Kinsale
Dennis Driscoll, Skibbereen
Patrick Driscoll, Skibbereen
Michael Driscoll, Castletownend
Joseph Driscoll, Skibbereen
Michl Driscoll, Skibbereen
John Driscoll, Skibbereen       #Or even this one?
Daniel Driscoll, Riverstown
Jerry Driscoll, Riverstown
Denis Driscoll, Riverstown
John O'Driscoll, Borough of Kinsale   # Oh, another.
Cornelius O'Driscole, Skibbereen
John O'Driscoll, City of Cork
Michael O'Driscoll, City of Cork

This is a list from the Driscoll site.  Does anyone know if there is a record anywhere of him serving in the Militia? 
 ???
Thanks for all your help by the way!
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 April 12 20:25 BST (UK) »
I think you should rule out Thomas being born in Castlehaven parish before considering anything else - army to docks labourer is a leap and there is the distance problem between Kinsale and Castlehaven. The 1871 looks good. They are precise with the children's ages. I think if it were me, I would look through the pdfs on the Irish Genealogy site for Castlehaven for 1854-1856 to see if Thomas is lurking in there somewhere - misindexed, missed or illegible. Looking at sponsors is another option to create family links but is problematic in this parish with names like Driscoll and Neill because they are common enough.

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 April 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
THANKS!  Yes - I thought it looked like them!  I shall find some time and go thru them pdfs then.  Excellent.
 :)
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 07:48 BST (UK) »
Good luck with the search - at least it's a small parish with few enough baptisms. I forgot to say as well you could get a birth cert for one of younger children listed on the 1871 census and check the mother's maiden name to make sure it's the right family. If you end up looking into the West Cork Militia whatever records there are are probably in the UK National Archives.

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 09:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes, I have applied for two of the younger ones.  I cannot find Anne's birth anywhere.  The family thought her name was Hannah, but she was always known as Annie.  Digging up a few skeletons in my research.  Hmmmm.
I appreciate your help! Ta muchly.

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 April 12 06:27 BST (UK) »
I have FOUND Ann Driscoll, daughter of John Driscoll  (Granary labourer!) and Catherine, formerly Neale (O'Neil) and have her certificate recording her birth in 1868 in Rotherhithe.  So, I think I have made the link definite with my family.  Excellent.
Chances were that he worked at that Rineen mill then!
Thank you for all your help.
Now, of course, with this all being very addictive, I want to know more about both families and Rineen.  But I am thrilled to have gotten this far.
I am still trying to contact the descendants of James, I have emailed a couple of contacts.  James Henry Driscoll, was in Dagenham and died in the 1960's I think.  I am trying to track living people now I believe. ;D

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 April 12 07:35 BST (UK) »
That's excellent - well done.

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 April 12 19:41 BST (UK) »
Can anyone advance me on the parents of either John Driscoll (abt 1832), or Catherine Neil (O'Neil)(abt 1835), who were living in Rineen and John working at the mill 1850's - 1870 before leaving for London?
Children, Thomas, Mary, James, Catherine, Johanna, Ellen, Ann, Bridget, Margaret.  Maybe John had a father Thomas? ???

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Driscoll -Aghills, Forenaght, Rineen, Castlehaven to Rotherhithe
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 July 12 05:39 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if Thomas, of Aghill's could be John's father.  Not sure how to find that out.  John was born about 1832.
I have also found a Jeremiah Driscoll, son of a John Driscoll (maybe Thomas's brother???) who was born about 1839 and married Bridget McDonnell, living in Rineen.  It is a very small area and it would be easy to assume a relationship.  Still trying to tie them together. 
Aghill's is about 5km away and Thomas is listed as a landowner, Griffiths and various directories.  In the 1911 census a widow Anne is farming here with son's John, Edward, daughter Kate (imbecile) and grand daughter Mary Burke.
Jeremiah and his wife are nearby on Forenaught with their son John and daughter Ellen.

Does anyone have any advice on where I could look to try to find any associations between these families and my John and Cathering (Neil)?