Author Topic: Skibbereen - Famine Survivors, How?  (Read 14045 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Skibbereen - Famine Survivors, How?
« on: Tuesday 03 June 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have found on the Skibbereen Heritage Loan Database that one of my ancestors Tim Hallihane from Castlehaven was named as a Surety for a 2 pound loan on 01 December 1846.

He is listed on the follow up on 15 December 1846 as a poor labourer still living off the land. 

I also know that he was still alive in Castlehaven in 1866 as he is listed as a witness on the marriage cert of his daughter (my Great Great Grandmother).

I have done some research into his family and I have found that at least 2 of his brothers from Castlehaven were also still alive in the 1860's.

My question is does anyone have any ideas how he, his daughter and his brothers could have survived the famine years without emigrating if he was listed as a poor labourer living on the land in 1846 at the start of the famine, I am curious as to the possible ways you may think that he and his brothers may have been able to survive the 4 worst years of the famine and remain in Castlehaven?  I have checked a lot of information on the famine in West Cork but its all about how people died, there is not really anything on how some people did manage to survive it for over 4 years - any thoughts on this?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Skibbereen - Famine Survivors, How?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 22:04 BST (UK) »
Working at the fishing?

Skoosh.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 22:16 BST (UK) »
He was a poor farm labourer, not a fisherman

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I found this

Charity and Remittances
Many lives were saved by the charitable efforts of others. The Society of Friends distributed over 200,000 worth of food and clothing. Irish charities were responsible for over 300,000 of relief. The British associations handled over 400,000 but were used by government to prop up bankrupt unions, which should have been their responsibility. A considerable proportion of this money had been donated be Irish people in the colonial services and the military.  Remittances from relatives and friends living abroad must run into millions and saved many from starvation by providing money for food or emigration. The amount of food shared by neighbours is incalculable and must run into millions. In a lot of cases the charitable relief was only temporary and just postponed the moment of death.

http://www.wolfetonesofficialsite.com/famine.htm

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
Castlehaven is beside the coast, so he may have foraged for winkles, limpets   ..  shellfish attached to rocks on the shore.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 00:48 BST (UK) »
Who was his landlord?
Many of them were very good. http://www.historyireland.com/18th-19th-century-history/the-widows-mite-private-relief-during-the-great-famine/
Quakers did a lot. http://www.historyireland.com/18th-19th-century-history/quakers-the-famine/
Famine Relief  Works http://www.nationalarchives.ie/topics/famine/relief.html

And as conahy calling said, foraging, there was a man in Kildare so convinced there would be no birds left in the country he did a Norah's Ark like thing with a large barn and kept pairs of birds in it.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 03:40 BST (UK) »
His Landlord in the Griffith's valuation in 1853 was a Cornelius Buckley, he was renting a house from him for 2 shillings at Inane, Castlehaven.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 07:09 BST (UK) »
His Landlord in the Griffith's valuation in 1853 was a Cornelius Buckley, he was renting a house from him for 2 shillings at Inane, Castlehaven.

Buckley was a middleman landlord; Col. French was head landlord.

I hope this doesn't sound smart but a lot more people survived the Famine than died during it. Apart from whatever resources people had themselves (was someone paying him a wage?) and other possible income mentioned already, there were relief works and soup kitchens. Also, even if he is only described as a labourer that doesn't preclude the possibility he also worked as a fisherman.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 12:39 BST (UK) »
Sonas, I think there was a programme of road improvements in the Skibbereen area.

Skoosh.