Author Topic: Marriage Act 1886  (Read 3718 times)

Offline willow2670

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marriage Act 1886
« on: Friday 23 December 05 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of one of my Ancesters marriage certificate 25th Dec 1886.
On the top of the cert is written

N.B. The first marriage (at 1.15pm) since the passing of the marriage act of 1886

Can anyone explain what this Act was please.

Also what was the difference between banns & licence?

Sue
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Act 1886
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 December 05 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue, according to this link before the Act of 10 May 1886, people could only marry between 8 o'clock a.m and 12 noon. After the act was passed the time allowed for marriages was extended until 3p.m.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=114659.0;num_replies=0

Sue i don't know about banns and licence - too long since I got  married!!!!

Margaret :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willow2670

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 December 05 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Margaret, that wasn't too complicated then   ::)

Sue
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 December 05 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue, had to look up banns and licence then!!!!!! Think I had banns?????? back in the midst of time

http://www.llgc.org.uk/lc/lcs0052.htm#2

Is for Wales but i expect no different for England

Margaret :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 December 05 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of one of my Ancesters marriage certificate 25th Dec 1886.
On the top of the cert is written

N.B. The first marriage (at 1.15pm) since the passing of the marriage act of 1886

Can anyone explain what this Act was please.
Read it for yourself at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7Eframland/acts/actind.htm
Cheers
Guy

Also what was the difference between banns & licence?

Sue

Oops just seen the rest of your post.
Banns the announcement of the intention to marry called in the parish church of both partners three successive Sundays prior to the marriage.
A licence to marry without the calling of banns issued by a registrar or an Archbishop or one of his subordinates.
Conditions as to when and where a marriage may take place vary depending on who issues the licence.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 December 05 04:01 GMT (UK) »
First marriage, then the pubs!  First thing you know, everything will be 24/7!   lol
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 December 05 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to Guys post.  When Banns are read they still have to be posted for three weeks prior to the marriage in the local registry office.  Also a marriage by licence in an historical sense would have had an allegation which basically said that miss x will marry Mr y on a given date and should she not do this those who were named as her guarantor(s) would forfeit an amount of money.  usually this was the father.  I think these ended when civil registration came in but Guy I am sure will be able to give the dates for this

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 December 05 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Bit of confusion here.
The allegation was a document signed by one of the couple swearing there was no legal impediment to them marrying. Allegations were discontinued after 1823.

The Marriage Bond was a sworn statement usually by the groom & a friend that there was no legal impediment to the marriage. The bond included a financial penalty payable if there was an impediment to the marriage. The bond also acted as insurance that the vicar or whoever carried out the ceremony would not suffer any financial penalty if the marriage was illegal.

This last bit was due to the fact that if any vicar etc. carried out an illegal marriage they could be fined.

It does not and cannot mean if the marriage does not take place the money is forfeit as such a clause would in itself make the marriage illegal.
All marriages have to take place by the free will of those participating, if either of the couple is forced to marry the marriage is void.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Guy,

I misunderstood what was said on a rather illegible allegation I viewed at Lichfield they never having been of use at that point.  However I have thanks to one licence cracked a 3 year brick wall.  The question would be why are the values for the allegation different for every one?  Ok I know that this is probably down to the means of the person making the allegation but I would have thought it should have been a standard rate for all.  Oh well

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP