Author Topic: Carolan family  (Read 22998 times)

Offline margym317

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carolan family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 May 11 18:46 BST (UK) »
Interesting to know that the Archives are now on line.  My family left so early that I have given up hope on finding them.  I now have 9 spellings for Carolan.  One signature says James CARLIN but more than likely it was different when they lived in Ireland.  1834 is the year I find them coming to Canada.  I'll watch your info.  If anyone can recommend an LDS film from the 1830;s let me know. 
margym317

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 May 11 18:50 BST (UK) »
If anyone can recommend an LDS film from the 1830;s let me know. 

which parish ?

remember that not all RC rural parishes have records back to the 1830s

see :
  Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline margym317

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 May 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
If I knew which parish, I would have found them!  I only know the stories say County Mayo and that is on the 1910 Canadian Census.  A James CARLIN is listed on the Ships List, St. Lawrence Steam Boats, coming from Quebec City to Montreal with one under 12 and three over 12, June 1834 on the Voyaguer.  Those ships transported immigrants to places up the Qttawa River.  It took hours to find that record.  There are Carolans at Abbeytown in Mayo near Claremorris.  I don't know if that is my family or not yet.  It seems that I could write to a Diocese to get a marriage or Baptism record but not many have survived.  I do know the family were very strong Roman Catholics.  Most who settled at Grenville, Quebec are buried at Calumet, the RC cemetery for Notre Dame sept Doulures. 
The mother of James and possibly a brother Terrance, was Margaret (David) married to Anthony Carlin and there was an Anthony Carolan at Abbeytown. 
margym317

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 May 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
you really need to know which parish, or even a general area to start a proper search, otherwise it would be very difficult to confirm if any records you may find are for your Carolan family.

just to give an idea of the number of parishes in a single county like Meath see : RC Parish Map - Co. Meath  (Irish Times)

click on the individual parishes to see details of the dates for which records are available and the film references of the details held by the National Library, and LDS if available.

Many records for these parishes have been transcribed by the IFHF/RootsIreland and are available on their pay-website - see the link mentioned earlier by jc33a

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 May 13 21:15 BST (UK) »
If it is Carolan family information you are looking for, I can point you in the direction if they descend from the family from Meath, Ireland. Both of my grandparents had Carolan relatives from that specific area of Northern Ireland, and I have added some of their genealogy to my tree on Ancestry.com.

I have more than a dozen Carolan family members, starting with John Carolan and Catherine Mulvany (b. 1840s) and including such surnames as Brown, McMahon, Cully and Fitzsimons. I also have Carolan connections into my tree who can probably provide some additional details.

Message me if your family is related.

PJ
MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.

Offline margym317

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 May 13 21:55 BST (UK) »
We feel that the mother of James CAROLAN was Margaret Davitt.  She had a sister, Sarah, who married one of the McAndrew (thousands of them) and their ages would fit.  Margaret Davitt married Anthony Carlin, Carolin, Carland, Carrolan or what ever the transcriber preferred writing.  A couple of us are searching and we feel the family may have come from Donegal near Derry but stayed in Mayo a short time.  Have just finished The Year of the French by Flanagan and can truly understand why this family would have left for Canada. 
Any names you can send would be appreciated.  Just Carolan's though! Thanks for your time. 
margym317

Offline margym317

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 May 13 21:57 BST (UK) »
PS.  This Carolan or Carlin family was in Canada by 1833.  I have a land patent where 200 acres of land was sold to Terrance CARROLAN (same family) in 1833.  This is the place where James raised his family but we cannot find a trace of Terrance his brother. 
margym317

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 May 13 23:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. While I haven't traced the Carolans on my tree to Mayo, Ancestry.com does have a members connect area that makes suggestions for possible family tree matches, and one family on there is from Mayo.

It looks like their family is John Carolan and Mary Reilly, and from what I can see, they had a son John Carolan (b. 1837) married to Mary Walsh, and they lived in Crossmolina, Co, Mayo. It may help to check this family out. I don't think they are connected to mine, but it's worth sharing the info if it can help you. Who knows, maybe the townland can help you narrow down your search?

There also a ton of other Carolan families in Westmeath, Louth and outside of Belfast. I believe these are connected to my own family.

The Carolans related to my own family were born in Moynalty, Meath, and ended up in Worcester, Massachusetts, Providence, Rhode Island, and Newark, NJ.
MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.

Offline margym317

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 May 13 00:38 BST (UK) »
I will search John Carolan.  We have one signature of James and it is definitely CARLIN.  But who know what the Irish spelling was. 
There is a new museum in Ballina for Jackie Clarke.  Found this out through the NY Times article by Dan Barry in March "Historic Evergreen".  Sent an email to the web site but no response.  Probably no volunteers.  Would love to go to Ballina but I am too old to rent a car!
margym317