Author Topic: Completed with many Thanks - Creased Granny with her father in "navel uniform"?  (Read 6527 times)

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Creased Granny with her father in "navel uniform"?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 December 13 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Like Ken I think it is a genuine pic and as stated the ships' name was removed in wartime,
The navy of ww1 had some trades that were basically that of a navvy particularly when a vessel was coaling and the Trimmers below decks had to keep the hundreds of tons of coal well balanced so as not to compromise the stabilty of the vessel, grease, fats and tar was used liberally by the sailors so dirty fingernails was probably a la mode.

It is possible he was RNR. some fishermen called up for war service as RNR ratings sometimes kept the varous messes supplied with fresh fish paricularly in the Sout Atlantic after the Battle of the Falkland Islands in 1914
Perhaps if you posted this on armed Forces boards when the restores have finished you may get assistance with his medals and records.

James

Offline Tony Freeman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Greeting to all from the Lago di Garda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 December 13 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Beautiful photo .... nice one to restore  :)
Freeman: UK, Ireland, Jersey, India
Ward: York
Heseltine: West Heslerton, Malton, Norton
Monkman: West Heslerton & Malton
Wheller: Shrewsbury, Birmingham, Malton & Hull
Colchester: Suffolk
Hall
Bruce: Scotland
Cleary: Co Clare, Ireland & London

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 December 13 09:50 GMT (UK) »
First of all a huge thank you to everyone who puts their time, effort and expertise into restoring these photos.  Second I found my G gradfather at the National Archives - looks like he was in the reserves no listing in the ratings records...A rather sad tale he drowned himself age 56.

"Registry of Shipping and Seamen: Royal Naval Reserve Ratings' Records of Service (Microfiche Copies). Name Fraser, William Noble. Place of Birth: Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire. Number: DA 6273. Date of Birth: 10 July 1875."
Thanks
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Tony Freeman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Greeting to all from the Lago di Garda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 December 13 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Another coloured version :-)
Freeman: UK, Ireland, Jersey, India
Ward: York
Heseltine: West Heslerton, Malton, Norton
Monkman: West Heslerton & Malton
Wheller: Shrewsbury, Birmingham, Malton & Hull
Colchester: Suffolk
Hall
Bruce: Scotland
Cleary: Co Clare, Ireland & London

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 December 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
My effort,  :)

(Grandad used to call my sister Jenny Wren)  :)

Yvonne
Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 December 13 08:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a record for William Noble Fraser, but is in the Board of Trade series (BT)
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D8513801

According to the medal roll he was awarded the 14-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Martin

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 December 13 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Martin,
I obviously didn't know he had been awarded any medals given I didn't even know he saw service until a couple of days ago.He was someone my Gran didn't much talk much about maybe because he died so tragically.  I was told he played football for Scotland and when I was young my Gran had a little cap that she said he was awarded but I've no idea if that story is true...
I've got so many fab photos now - thanks everyone.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 July 14 03:22 BST (UK) »
A couple of technical points re the uniform: The lanyard is incorrectly worn as it does not pass under the silk. The silk appears very poorly put together (it is too wide and untidy for starters)  and would not come close to passing any inspection. It has also been incorrectly tied off with a bow which has invertes cut into the tag ends. The uniform has no ranking badge or any other insignia which a serving sailor would definitely have. 'HMS' Cap tallies were not in use in WW1 and sailors were instructed to remove them or use their depot tally when on shore leave. It was WW2 when 'HMS' tallies were issued specifically for shore leave etc. The trousers would have had five or seven equally spaced creases across them and none are evident. The general impression is that the uniform was not put on by a sailor familiar with how to use the accessories. Certainly not by one getting his photo taken. I agree that it was probably provided by the studio even though the wearer was a reservist. Many reservists didn't wear uniforms because they were working in local waters and often on fishing vessels which were undertaking naval duties like observation, minesweeping and transferring cargo and personnel.....

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 July 14 03:38 BST (UK) »
PS The only William Fraser to have played for Scotland (according to the SFA online historical archive) at football was in 1954 and he was the captain. I must be coming over like a real party pooper........Willie Fraser was born 1929 in Brighton, Victoria, Australia and was a goalkeeper......