Author Topic: Alfred Glover  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Glover
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 July 14 07:54 BST (UK) »
Another brother for Alice Moss BROOKS ???

John Fred BROOKS aged 32 died 1888 NORTH BRIGHTON
Reg #12333
Father named George and mother was Ann MOSS

Essie

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 July 14 01:14 BST (UK) »
I cannot find any connection for Alice to the MOSS/BROOKS family who lived at Brighton Vic.

Have found the family on the 1851 census.  Two marriages for both George Henry and wife Ann.  She was previously married to a RUSH prior to her marriage to George BROOKS.  Also a couple of online trees which don't show the RUSH BROOKS marriage however it is on free bdm. I always treat online trees with great caution.

Apologies for taking the thread on a wild goose chase ::)

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 July 14 07:29 BST (UK) »
Communication with a BROOKS researcher who had researched the MOSS/BROOKS family in Victoria along with a William BROOKS, bricklayer, born London and wife Margaret Alice MONTGOMERY who had a dau Alice born Victoria who died at Ballarat in 1935 although the death index has father as John.  The researcher is not related to either families.

Death
MOORE Alice
Father Brooks John  Mother Margaret MONTGOMERY
At Ballarat  85 years  1935  Reg#17506

And this appears to be Alice's 2nd marriage - with the two marriage certs you could compare signatures, and parents' details etc.

BROOKS Alice born Camberwell
MOORE John born Tasmania
1885  Reg#5670

They were having children from 1878 in the Western district of Victoria and married after the birth of their dau.

MOORE Alfred
Father John Thomas  Mother Alice BROOKS
At Chetwynd  1878  Reg#7790

MOORE Herbert
At Coleraine  1882  Reg#21975

MOORE Violet
At Digby  1884  Reg#16238

And that's about it.  :)

Cando

Offline Christine Verschoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 August 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
thank you for the replies have had problems with my net due to electricity outrages but have enjoyed reading the replies now have some more information. George Glover and Alice Moss were married 7-4-1869 at Waverly, Nunawading, Victoria He gave his birthplace as London, she gave Camberwell, London as hers. Alfred Glover was my grandfather, for some reason when he moved from Gippsland to the western district they changed their name to Lovett. even the adult sons never said why and the younger children never spoke of it. my father was Walter Edward Lovett/Glover he is named Glover on his birth certificate but went into the navy as Lovett. I cannot get beyond George Glover 1824-14-12-1929 and Alice Moss 1850 no death date. There are 2 children named on Alfreds birth certificate, Margaret  and Harry but I have no idea about their lives.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 August 14 01:16 BST (UK) »
I cannot get beyond George Glover 1824-14-12-1929 and Alice Moss 1850 no death date.

Another researcher attempting to eliminate the MOSS/BROOKS family also researched the George GLOVER/Alice BROOKS/MOSS family as well.  I have given you her findings.  You need to purchase the MOORE/BROOKS marriage certificate to compare
1.  Age and place of birth [Index says Camberwell]
2.  Names of parents including mother's maiden name and father's occupation.
3.  Alice's signature

Would you please type up ALL the details on the 1869 marriage certificate please.
Was Alice's father named William and was he a brickmaker. 

Communication with a BROOKS researcher who had researched the MOSS/BROOKS family in Victoria along with a William BROOKS, bricklayer, born London and wife Margaret Alice MONTGOMERY who had a dau Alice born Victoria who died at Ballarat in 1935 although the death index has father as John.  The researcher is not related to either families.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 August 14 02:17 BST (UK) »
George Glover and Alice Moss were married 7-4-1869 at Waverly, Nunawading, Victoria He gave his birthplace as London,

You have the advantage of having the marriage certificate with all the details.  It is often the small details that help break down walls.  Once you have given us ALL the details on the marriage cert we may be able to help with George's death  You have written he was born c1829.  What was his age on Alfred's birth certificate please.

A possibility....

Death
GLOVER George
Parents unknown
1877  Born London 56 years  Reg#5908

Alice BROOKS and John MOORE had a child in 1878. 

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 August 14 02:27 BST (UK) »
He gave his birthplace as London, she gave Camberwell, London as hers

Would you please check that Alice was born London as the marriage index shows her born Victoria.

BROOKS Alice Born Victoria
GLOVER George Born London
1869  Reg#1335

and her second marriage as

BROOKS Alice born Camberwell
MOORE John born Tasmania
1885  Reg#5670

Cando