Poll

Have you found anyone famous in your family tree?

Yes
127 (39.7%)
No
106 (33.1%)
Not yet
87 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: Found Anyone Famous  (Read 90766 times)

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Found Anyone Famous
« Reply #27 on: Friday 26 November 04 14:11 GMT (UK) »
he IS famous in my eyes Kazza..... ;D
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 13:33 GMT (UK) »
And on the subject of family legends that are downright difficult if not impossible to verify, my paternal grandmother's family is reputedly descended from St Cuthbert, he of the Lindisfarne Gospels. The link could not be direct, because chastity was the rule for monks of the time, but Cuthbert as a middle name for girls proliferates up to the 1890s when my grandmother was born.

My father seemed to think that one of his female cousins married the brother of Sir Len Hutton, the cricketer which displays a different aspect of a tenuous connection to fame.

My great grandfather was famous for other reasons though. Apparently, someone who knew him told a elderly relative that he could really sup his ale. He drank it by the barrel, not by the pint.

One of these days I may uncover somebody who can be proven as being famous for doing something worthwhile (not that I am displaying any disrespect for the consumption of beer).
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I am not related anyone famous - well, I haven't found anyone YET, but still looking.

However, my cousin's wife is related to Ozzy Osbourne!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o TRUE!

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 22:00 GMT (UK) »
...and my husband played round at the Osbornes as a child, and father-in-law did some rewiring for Noddy Holder (well, Noddy Holder's house, rather than Noddy's brain, if you see what I mean)
...but don't tell him I've told you!

Bel
Researching
ARTHUR, ROBERTS, LEWIS and WILLIAMS in Denbighshire/Merionethshire/Glamorgan
EVANS and JONES in Montgomeryshire
FALLOW(E)S, JONES, PREECE and GITTON in Shropshire
and the list keeps growing...
(March 2006) Now looking for HINKS, SPARKES, INGRAM from West Midlands area

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 06 January 05 11:10 GMT (UK) »
A distant ancestor, Ellen Mary Edmonds appeared on her mother's will as a 'painter of miniatures, under the name Nellie Hepburn Edmonds' Further research found she has a miniature painting in the Victoria and Albert Museum!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 06 January 05 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Not actually descended from anyone famous, but my gt-grandmother met an Italian electrical engineer from Genoa, living in London, and as a result my grandmother was born in 1895, and then fostered and adopted.  Her true parents were unable to marry - he was a Catholic, and she not a
Catholic - and five years later he married a woman of the same religious persuasion, who was also a grand-daughter of Daniel O'Connell, the "Liberator" of Ireland.
My grandmother, to prove this was not just another unhappy story of abandonment, grew up in a well-to-do family on Highgate Hill, married my grandfather, who was in the Civil Service in India; when he got knighted in 1946 she became a Lady.  She died at the age of 96 in 1992, and was the most remarkable woman I have ever met...
Keith

Offline ndedross

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 06 January 05 19:44 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor trained in carpentry with his cousin Thomas Chippindale, but decided there was no money in wood and became a miller instead.
Dedross. Gallaway. Starling. Singleton. Atkins. Burkinshaw. Chippendale. Shacklock. Lightfoot. Fisher. London. Middlesex. Yorkshire. Switzerland.

Offline minime

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 07 January 05 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you can really consider this famous, but finally I have good news about my family. (not just gangsters and theives..LOL!!!) I found out that my Great grandfather Birchall not only created the art work for the original Dixie Cups, but also the logo used for the Golden gloves for boxing and the Fruit of the loom design. Plus, for anyone from Mass., he created the logo still used by the Lowell Sun too. Woohooo....I have a winner!!!!!  ;D

Minime

p.s. Walt Disney asked him to do artwork for Disneyland, but Great Grandpa thought he was nuts. Who's nuts now?!!!! LOL!!!! ;)
Birchall, Cooper, Kearns, Hope, Desmarias
Scotland, England, Ireland, Canada?, France?

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 09 January 05 15:30 GMT (UK) »
 :D :D :D

Not quite on topic - this is to Jill -

WOW ! Gordon McCrea was one of my all-time heroes (along with the late Howard Keel) - have you ever been in touch with him Jill?

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)