Author Topic: Nifty1 Scavenger Hunt.... Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 31311 times)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identification of brides father
« Reply #72 on: Monday 21 July 14 13:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate the death date of a 'Henry Green (Deceased)', Profession of Trainer who is cited as being the father of Ethel Elizabeth Green, 23, (spinster) on her Certificate of Marriage to Leonard Ralph Kirtland, 28,  (Bachelor), profession of Motor Mechanic. Bride and Grooms residence at time of marriage, Nov. 1914, was 4 Altwood (?) Road; Presumably, but not necessarily,  Maidenhead.
 Assuming Henry Green was the full name, there are several likely candidates on BMD, between 1894 and 1914.

Deaths Dec 1894   (>99%)

Green
 Henry
 Wallingford
 2c

Deaths Dec 1895   (>99%)

Green
 Henry
 Wokingham
 2c

Deaths Mar 1898   (>99%)

Green
 Henry
 Windsor
 2c

Deaths Sep 1899   (>99%)

Green
 Henry
 Windsor
 2c

Deaths Jun 1903   (>99%)

Green
 Henry
 Henley
 3a

Deaths Dec 1905   (>99%)

GREEN
 Henry
 Basingstoke
 2c

GREEN
 Henry
 Maidenhead
 2c

Deaths Sep 1906   (>99%)

Green
 Henry
 Reading
 2c

Deaths Mar 1907   (>99%)

GREEN
 Henry
 Oxford
 3a

Deaths Dec 1908   (>99%)

GREEN
 Henry
 Bradfield
 2c

Deaths Mar 1909   (>99%)

GREEN
 Henry
 Wantage
 2c

I would be very grateful if anyone with  the skill and resources at their disposal would try to help me decide which is the most likely.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Nifty1 Scavenger Hunt.... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #73 on: Monday 21 July 14 14:07 BST (UK) »
This is the info from post #24 brought forward:

Possible for 1891 census:
18 Brittania Place, Battersea

Henry Green  Head  Mar  27  Horse keeper  bn Shrops, Oswestry
Mary Ethel Green  Wife  Mar  26  bn Berks, Windsor
Elizabeth Ethel Green  Dau  1  bn Berks, SLough
Elizabeth Russell  mother in law  wid  62  Living on own means  bn Berks Windsor
Albert Harry Russell  son in law  single  28  carman  bn Berks, Windsor
RG12; Piece: 435; Folio: 83; Page: 28

Is this the last time we see Henry Green?  Or have we got him on later censuses?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 21 July 14 14:17 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage between Mary Ethel Green and Austin Herbert Tomkins in Wolverhampton 1900, and a death of Austin Herbert Tomkins in Windsor in 1904 (2c 314)

You might want to get the above cert, to ascertain whether Mary Ethel Green was widowed or divorced.  If widowed, you can narrow down the deaths to between 1891 and 1900.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 21 July 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a Henry Green Sept qtr 1899, Wolverhampton 6b 392

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 21 July 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for bringing that forward Spidermonkey. I have been very slack in not reviewing what has already been unearthed, and also, put it  down to being under stress of having an overload of information and unable  to deal with it rationally.  I find it rather infuriating that among a large  cache of family papers and photographs that I have recently acquired, there is so much that is not straight-forward to rationalise/determine.

You ask: 'Is this the last time we see Henry Green? '

I suspect not. I possibly have a photograph of him I want to be sure if this is the case.
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 21 July 14 16:58 BST (UK) »
I believe that Henry Green died Sept.qtr.1899 Wolverhampton.   As already mentioned, Mary Ethel Green remarried to Austin Herbert Tomkins 1900 Wolverhampton.

I cannot find them in 1901!

Austin Herbert Tomkins died Mar.qtr.1904 Windsor and, as before, Mary wastes no time in marrying again.

Mary Ethel Tomkins, widow, married Richard Redrup 20/11/1904 Emmanuel, Paddington - although only 14/15 her daughter Ethel Elizabeth Green is one of the witnesses.

Mary Ethel Russell was her birth name, daughter of George James Russell, Farmer (deceased) according to the 1904 marriage certificate (she'd married Henry Green Mar.1889 Windsor).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 21 July 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Ah Ha! At last.

I understand it could be anybody. The question is why should this fragment of a photograph be kept?

(Link withheld)

Please can anybody provide a fairly acurate date on the clothing worn by those in the picture or glean any other clues from it ?

On second thoughts, 

I managed to post a link that displays a photo using Picasa Drop Box. The only problem is that the link also gives access to all my other photographs and I do not wish to do that. Can anybody pease give me or link me to clear instructions as to how to display the photograph singly?

Edit
 Annette7 I seem to remembefr my uncle talking of the name Redrup. Alas not with sufficient clarity for me to really grasp the situation as it was.
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 08:06 BST (UK) »
It looks as if the marriage to Richard Redrup was bigamous - certainly on his side becase I think that he was married already to an Ada, who doesn't appear to die until 1940!

There is a marriage between Mary Ethel Green and Austin Herbert Tomkins in Wolverhampton 1900, and a death of Austin Herbert Tomkins in Windsor in 1904 (2c 314)

It might be worth re-reading through this thread again - during scavenger hunts, loads of information comes in which doesn't always seem to flow, but on another look you might start seeing how you family fits together.  Also, there is no point looking for answers that you already have  ;)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fred Marsh
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 26 July 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Re The Marsh family mostly covered on the first three pages of this particular Scavenge Hunt.
I have come across a bit of a problem that I would dearly like more experiences genealogists to have a look at and inform me of what they think are  the most likely reasons for it.

I have been making enquiries into the extended family of Lily nee Brown who married Elias abt1921 in order to add more substance to my findings. My intent was to find out more about a man that Ramsay caled uncle Sid who I took to be related to Lily's family.

Much to my delight, my enquiries have encouraged members of the family to help. I have had a reply from a man who is a grandson of Lily Brown. He is adamant that he knew my father and Elias. He says that he used to visit them in Slough during WW2 and what  he has told me so far corresponds well with what I have taken for granted. Except, a few inconsistencies have become apparent.

I had always assumed that Fred was an alias adopted by Elias who was  the man who founded the business Fred Marsh & Son. Turf Accounts. It was operating in Windsor in 1963 in Goswell Road.

For a start, it seems that Elias died in 1960 I had assumed that his wife Lily had the business acumen to make the business the success it was in the early and mid 1960s. I thought that she probably became its director and her son Ramsay its principle manager owing to the rich life-style they led.

This assumption evidently has a few faults

My new found distant cousin informs me that there was a Fred Marsh and that he was thought to be an older brother of Elias. Whoever he was I am puzzled as his identity as to who  he was as he is not mentioned on any census that I have seen. 
Elias' brothers seem to have died as follows :
Robert 1957
John 1916
Joseph 1971
James W ?

Any thoughts please?
Could Fred have  had a child of Lily's through a previous liaison or marriage ?
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise