Author Topic: Can Anyone remove the Dots and give him a face please  (Read 1778 times)

Offline The Certificate Man

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can Anyone remove the Dots and give him a face please
« on: Tuesday 09 December 14 16:33 GMT (UK) »
This guy is our club's casualty from the First World War

The only picture we have of him is the is newspaper cutting

I have removed the dots from the side of the image but wouldn't know where to start with face and uniform

He was a Captain in the 2nd Manchesters at Galipolli if that's useful

Thanks

Antony
Lambert   Kinder  Best

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can Anyone remove the Dots and give him a face please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 16:41 GMT (UK) »

Offline ostrauts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Restored as requested.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 21:11 GMT (UK) »
One from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for these three shots

Kind regards

Antony
Lambert   Kinder  Best

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Antony

Do you know much about him at all?  Hope this doesn't offend, but did he by any chance have a glass eye?  His right eye appears to be focused in a different direction although admittedly it is very difficult to tell.   I'm reluctant to mess about with the eyes too much as once you do, you end up with a different person and not a true likeness.

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Just to show you what I mean, his left eye appears to be focused forward, while his right is looking outward!  Could be just my weird perception.

Regards
Caroline

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the note.

It does look an odd photo I know, but we know next to nothing about this man.

Ashton Golf Club was 100 years old last year and we always thought that none of our members died in the first World War.  There are no notes of any deaths in the minutes, there is no plaque on the wall, or anything at all.

We know he was not one of the founder members. those people who di d all the organising and forming of the club and purchase of the land etc, but of course , he ay have joined at the start of play so to speak in March 1913.

And then just browsing the Manchester Pals on line page I cam across him.

He is Captain Irvine Dearnaley and there's an entry for him in De Ruvigny's which says he was the Social Secretary at the Golf Club and an accomplished player.

It seems very odd we do not know anything of him and that he is not minuted anywhere

Thanks

Antony
Lambert   Kinder  Best

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 21:45 GMT (UK) »
http://forum.gallipoli-association.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=1122&title=dearnaley-irvine-capt-kia-231115 

there is quite a bit about this gent here on the Gallipoli association site  sample below

Published in the Ashton  Reporter 21st December 1915.

CAPT. I. DEARNALEY.

KILLED IN ACTION AT THE DARDANELLES.

We regret to record that another Ashton Territorial officer, Captain IRVINE DEARNALEY, has been killed in action in the Dardanelles. The sad news was conveyed by telegram on Tuesday to his mother, Mrs. Dearnaley, who resides in Fraser Street, Ashton, by the Territorial Record Office at Preston. Captain Dearnaley met his death on November 23rd. Mrs. Dearnaley was prostrated by the news. She had recently received a message from Capt. DEARNALEY, of which he wrote with his accustomed cheerfulness. He told her not to worry, as he would come out all right. He was sharing the same "dugout" as Lieut. BERTRAM ROBINSON, with whom he was great chums. Miss May Mills, of Fern Lee, Stalybridge, during the weekend received a letter from Captain DEARNALEY, of which he said he had been ordered to take command, and was going into the firing line. The news became generally known in Ashton on Tuesday night, and many were the expressions of sorrow and sympathy. Capt. DEARNALEY'S personality was one that impressed itself upon all with whom he came into contact. His determination to succeed in all he attempted, and the whole-heartedness with which he devoted his energies in any particular direction were characteristic traits. In business, in politics, in social life, and in the Territorials, Capt. DEARNALEY commanded respect by these virtues alone. If he set his mind on accomplishing anything he would do it at all costs. Capt. DEARNALEY was the youngest son of the late Mr. Irvine Dearnaley, who for many years was organist at the Ashton Parish Church. He was 32 years of age. Captain DEARNALEY joined the 2/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment soon after the outbreak of the war, and quickly gained promotion from second-lieutenant. Prior to the war he was in business as a yarn agent in Chapel Walks, Manchester. Previously he had held the position of secretary and saleman at the Minerva Mill, Ashton. He was a director of the Harper Twist Co. He took a great interest in the work at the Parish Church. On the voyage out to the Dardanelles he travelled on the same vessel as the Rev. A.D. JOHNSON. Captain DEARNALEY had taken a prominent part in the political, social and musical life of Ashton. He cleverly played on the cello, and was a member of the Ashton Parish Church Operatic Society. He had been house secretary of the Ashton Golf Club since its formation, and was above the average as a golfer. Capt. DEARNALEY'S brother, Lieut. HAROLD DEARNALEY, is serving with the South Lancashire Regiment at the Docks, Cardiff.
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk