Author Topic: Armstrong  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Tot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armstrong
« on: Sunday 22 June 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
Much has been written about The Border Reivers.  The name Armstrong is associated with the clans of the Border Region and in particular John of Gilnockie who was executed, some say murdered, along with some of his followers, on the orders of James V in 1530 in his attempt to quell the lawlessness in that area.
While I understand that popular culture wants to remember Johnnie Armstrong I am somewhat amazed by people who claim to be a descendant of his.

From the web site ‘British Newspaper Archive’ I have found mentioned, the following:-

Dumfries & Galloway Standard – April 10 1844
Deaths
At Langholm, on the 30th ult., John Armstrong, a descendant of the famous Armstrongs of Gilnockie, aged 70 years.

The Carlisle Journal – June 19 1857
Deaths
At Saughtree, Liddlesdale, on the 9th inst.,  Miss Helen Armstrong, aged 87 years.  Deceased was a lady of much intelligence, and of one of the oldest families in Liddlesdale, tracing ancestry up to the famous Johnnie Armstrong, of Gilnockie.

Sunderland Daily Echo – March 13 1900
Snapshots of the War
Lieutenant-Colonel T.G.L.H. Armstrong, who will command one of the two new battalions of Northumberland fusiliers, is a descendant of a famous Dumfriesshire frontier raider,” Johnnie Armstrong,” the freebooter in question, was put to death by James VI. (sic) Of Scotland.

Sunderland Daily Echo – April 22 1903
Old Folk On The Border
The famous Johnnie Armstrong, of Gilnockie Tower, the noted border chief, has a descendant in the village – Mr Archibald Armstrong 88.

The Berwickshire News – October 27 1903
Garrison Gossip
Lieutenant R.H.H. Armstrong, R.N., whose suicide in Hyde Park, London, has been reported, was the younger brother of Lieutenant-Colonel T.G.L.H. Armstrong, who was selected to raise the new 4th battalion of the “Fighting Fifth” (Northumberland Fusiliers) at York during the late war.  The deceased had had 31 years’ service, and was decorated for the Suakim Expedition, 1884-5.  He was a descendant of the famous Borderer, Johnnie Armstrong, the bold Dumfriesshire freebooter who was put to death by his sovereign.

Armstrongs in Johnny's day were many in number and most of them were probably related in some way or another but not every Armstrong today can be a descendant of the infamous freebooter.
The ancestors of those mentioned in the newspaper articles were probably around at the time of Johnny but I would even question their claim to being a direct descendant. 
Records being what they are I cannot see how anyone today can be sure that they can trace their ancestry back to Johnny.