Author Topic: Minnie Wilson and MIke Brown married 26 Feb 1913, Vancouver, Brtish Columbia  (Read 11104 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie Wilson and MIke Brown married 26 Feb 1913, Vancouver, Brtish Columbia
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 August 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
 I should not allow you to pin your hat to this family as not all evidence exists!!!!...Most eEarlier Ireland census all destroyed, I do not spot them in that locale 1901...There is this Michael & Elizabeth, she'd have to have been a teen to be the mother of Mike....but still would need some decent shreds of proof this might be the correct family
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Westmeath/Athlone_Town/Scotch_Parade/1773360/   ( more older children further on makes this family unlikely)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MORE in IRELAND in case they ever are yours to claim...
( Dry cow/Brick Island in Coorsan/Coarsan/Coosan)
Bridget Jan 24 1880 Drycow Island, Westmeath, Ireland
James Wansbors & Anne Connor

also Annie, Catherine,
 Elizabeth & Mary...then Ellen Frances, James Francis, John Joseph, William & Thomas Aloysius listed below them
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3AWansboro~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Aireland~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Ajames~%20%2Bmother_surname%3Aconnor~

In 1901 in case father,  James Wansboro a rellie, ie brother of Eliza
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Westmeath/Athlone_East/Athlone__Rural_/1772661/ ( I see Bridget in 1911 London England)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tithe Applotment Books Westmeath  ...Brown can also be found as Browne
Wansbro / Coorsan / St Mary's Athlone / Westmeath / 1829
Wansbro, John / Longwerth / St Mary's Athlone / Westmeath / 1829

Wansboro   James / Coarsan / St Mary's Athlone / Westmeath /1829
Wansboro / Moranshill / St. Mary's Athlone / Westmeath /1829
Wansboro   Jno / Coorsan / St Mary's Athlone / Westmeath    /1829

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp

Ireland / Selections of Catholic Parish Baptisms, 1742-1881 Birth, Baptism & marriages on ancestry will also help fill in some blanks although the names are in R.C. latin form
ie: Michaelem Wansboro / Gulielmi Wansboro etc.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie Wilson and MIke Brown married 26 Feb 1913, Vancouver, Brtish Columbia
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 August 14 00:14 BST (UK) »
Speaking of which there appears to be some more...but date not available for me to view?
Mariam Browne baptism/Roscommon and Westmeath, Ireland
Michaelis Browne & Elizabetha Wansbury?

Thomam Browne birth  Roscommon and Westmeath, Ireland
Michaelis Browne & Elizabethae Wansboro

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 August 14 04:00 BST (UK) »
For Miriam Browne the date is 11 Sep 1863. Sponsors Michaeli Hages and Brigida Wansbury. St Mary's Athlone.

For Thomam Browne the date is 16 Aug 1858. Sponsors Joanne Wansboro and Maria Moran. St Mary's Athlone.

Found another Michael baptized St Mary's Athlone Roscommon and Westmeath 17 Apr 1867. Parents Michael Browne and Eliza Wansboro. Sponsors were James Wansboro and Catherine Curley.

There seems to be more than one couple with similar names baptizing children about the same time?  Or are the 2 Michaels the same child with dates out a bit?

Pb
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 August 14 04:18 BST (UK) »
It would be an odd coincidence with the small number of Wansboro, that another Eliza might have married a Michael Browne....and had a son Michael 3 days after the other had a son Michael..Having said that...Of course anything has to be considered possible until proven otherwise!!!
Perhaps Apr. 20,1867 should have been the christening date and April 17th the birth date.....I guess one needs to see the images to be sure.
If this is all the same couple, then, they are older than I'd thought, having children around 1858.

Offline Gerry_Dalton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 August 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Good evening
My older cousins are over them moon that we are getting so much help and input....and I am delighted also
We are all open to the suggestion about our 'Mike Brown' and his parents. When all we have to go on is family stories passed down through a couple of generations.
Our Browns were Roman Catholic and from Irish beginnings, that is just about definite. Mike Browns parents were initially thought to be Lizzy and William but the marriage certificate shows it to be Mike Brown and Elizabeth Wainsborough (sic). Wansboro and it's variations seems far too much of a coincidence to totally ignore.
Of course Mary and Maria are interchangeable just like Mary and Marjory!
My cousins are checking with the other living descendants of Mike and Minnie for any for any other details I may have missed.
Unfortunately letters, may photos and other family information were lost when one of the family homes of one of Mike and Minnies daughters home was flooded back in the 1940's.
I am still looking for Mike and Minnies arrival in Australia sometime between 26 Feb 1913 &  14 Feb 1914 which is when their first daughter Mary Margaret Jessie Brown was born in Queenstown, Tasmania.
None of the Australian documents I have seen have uncovered any further clues to this mystery nor have any of the family notes.
All input is gratefully appreciated and thanks ever so much.  Cheerio for  now   Gerri Down Under

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 August 14 17:15 BST (UK) »
Well, sock this info into the maybe file and perhaps one day more might be found.
Middle names being used is not uncommon... Sometimes the renaming of children as jr. gets a little confusing with fathers & sons with same name... or maybe they just liked the other name best

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 August 14 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

I was wondering if you have a death cert for Mike Wilson and if it gives any info about his place of birth?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gerry_Dalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 02:43 BST (UK) »
G'day Polar Bear
death cert for Mike Brown says 'Michael William Brown' died 15 Sep 1940 age 75, died at Ipswich Hospital, Ipswich, Qld. Lived in Australia 27 years and was born Acheson, Kansas.  Family stories tell us Acheson is Atchison, Kansas.
We have lots of family stories about Mike and Minnie and I have found much evidence to support the Australian parts of the stories -  so now they are fact  :).  It's the stories from outside Aust that are difficult for me to find evidence to support so the stories remain stories till evidence is found to turn them into fact.
One of the family stories about Mike Brown is that he left home when about 13 or 14 years old.  He had been working for his uncle JP Brown in Atchison City, Atchison County, Kansas as a driver of carriages taking the Society women of Atchison to their numerous social functions.  It is said that Mike Brown got annoyed with this job and quit saying it was 'no job for a man'.  It is said that he went off to Montana to work at a chicken ranch, then to the Yukon looking to make his fortune.  Next thing we know is the fact that he is in Vancouver BC and getting married to Minnie Wilson and saying he's a farmer in Colby, Washington.
There are some untruths on the marriage cert........Minnie was already married to a Karl Weise.  Minnie told a story that he died at sea but the faimly have never found evidence to support that.  Minnie had a daughter Annie with Karl Weise in 1910....Annie was said to have been left behind in England with Minnies sister Dorothy (although the 1911 census does not show Annie living with Dorothy)
We all find it unusual that Mike Brown had not married previously to Minnie...or at least he never declared he had a previous marriage. However to his death it is said that he absolutely adored and loved his 3 Aussie born daughters.
Back to Atchison Kansas...family stories written in the 1970's and 1980's all talk about Mike Brown having an Uncle in Atchison and the uncles name was  JP Brown (John Patrick and known as JP or Paddy) I have found a bit written about JP as he was a pioneer of Atchison, wealthy Roman Catholic Irishman.  I've found JP married in Pennsylvania to a Sarah Wagner.
Back to family stories...they say one of Mike Brown's rellies by marriage was  a Mayor Wagner - not sure what city....and can only guess that was before Mike married Minnie.
In a books about the pioneers of Atchison Kansas there is a bit mentioned about JP Brown and his brother Thomas....NO mention of any Mike Brown  :( or even the names of JP & Thomas' sisters
Unusual middle names would be marvellous.....Minnie Wilson's father had an unusual middle name - he was Charles Frost Wilson....making his research a little less tedious and less frustrating!
I will get out the family story notes again and see if there could be anything else that could help.  My cousins have lent me their folder containing most of the info they have on their grandparents.  I will add a further post about the supposed named of Mike Brown's sisters.
Cheerio for now....I must have a short break from computer and do a few essentials like make a cup of tea and check on my hubbie etc. 
I am so appreciative of your assistance. 
Gerri  Down Under where it's a sunny mid-winters day and at 11.45am the thermometer days 15c  ;D

Offline Gerry_Dalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 04:19 BST (UK) »
While enjoying a nice salad for lunch on this lovely warm winters day,  I had a thought that maybe with all the Browns and Wansbro's (what ever the spelling) showing up in Westmeath, Ireland, that I should put a post on the Westmeath Ireland forum.  MAYBE someone has done some further research on the Brown's and/or Wansboro's round Athlone/Glasson which both appear to be in the same dioceses.  It may shed some light on my Michael Brown.  What does JJ & PB etc think of this suggestion?
Our family stories do say that the Brown's were Irish Catholic. 
Back to looking at passenger lists to Australia before 14 Feb 1914 (when Mike and Minnies first daughter was born in Tasmania)
Other than looking more and more I am out of thoughts