Author Topic: Florence Maud Lilian Luker  (Read 3984 times)

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Florence Maud Lilian Luker
« on: Wednesday 30 April 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help with finding Florence.
Florence was born on 13/02/1895 probably in Corfe Castle. Her mother was Ada Annie Luker and she wasn't married. Florence was baptised in Maiden Newton and beside the entry there is a note to say that she was out to a wet nurse. Ada Luker married Herbert Champion in 1897 but Florence doesn't appear on any census with the family.
I think Florence  appears on the 1911 census at St Thomas' Home in Basingstoke as a servant. This is a listing for a Florence Mabel (not Maud) Luker born in Weymouth (Maiden Newton is not far away). Research shows that there wasn't a Florence Mabel Luker born in Weymouth at this time so I'm tending to think that there is a slight inaccuracy in the listing. If this is her I haven't been able to find her again either getting married or in death so have been unable to complete my research of her. I have contacted other people from her Luker branch and Champion branch but no one else has managed to locate her either.
Very often people from Rootschat have been able to think of a new line of thought so I'm hoping that this might happen again. Thank you.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Maud Lilian Luker
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking into whether there are records of her time at St Thomas' Home Penitentiary and why she was there? If such records survive, they may say where she was discharged to.

On another site someone researching another inmate there was referred to Hampshire Record Office at Winchester or, as an alternative, Basingstoke Discovery Centre http://www3.hants.gov.uk/library/bsdc.htm.  The thread does not reveal whether the inquiries were fruitful, but says that Southampton Archives had stated the two reasons for a girl being there would be trouble with the law or having a baby (re the latter it may be worth looking for Luker births in the area c1911).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 09:56 BST (UK) »
Another name for the home here, though unfortunately it doesn't look hopeful re records:

www.roots-forum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=5108
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 09:58 BST (UK) »

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for these ideas. I had tried to track down the home but without any success. It may be that I didn't key in the right combination of words. I shall try again. I hadn't thought of her having a baby as she was still so young. I shall also look at this line of enquiry.
Many thanks.

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Basingstoke library they some times have a lot of local history available or the National Archives at Kew in London they also carry most available info. Another possible is that when Ada married her husband would not take on Florence and as the home she was in was for fallen and friendless women and there are no babies born listed on freebmd between 1919 to 1912

Offline Ro-Ro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have just found this post. I am also searching for Florence Maud Lilian Luker. I have also found out all that you have here plus a little more. However I cannot find her after 1911. She was the daughter of my husband's G Grandmother. What is your connection?

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Did you agree with me about the 1911 census sighting in the St Thomas Home, Basingstoke? I have been in touch with someone from the Champion side but he disagreed with me. My maiden name was Luker so I have a vast amount of information from the Luker side. Maybe between us we can find out what happened to her. The Luker family is very spread out. I am the youngest of my generation. All my Luker cousins have died. The oldest was born nearly 35 years before me.

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Have just found her on the 1901 census as Florry Laker living with Thomas and Sarah Champion as granddaughter. I shall do some more searching his evening.