Author Topic: Dunwoody Monaghan  (Read 8778 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunwoody Monaghan
« on: Tuesday 06 July 10 10:38 BST (UK) »
Ihave a Samuel Dunwoody, b1847, who married Isabella Morrison in Co. Londonderry in 1878. Samuel's father was Forster/Foster Dunwoody of Monaghan. In the 1901 and 1911 census I can find a Forster Dunwoody in Mill Street Monaghan with some family members. Can anyone give me any information on this Forster Dunwoody?

Many thanks.
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunwoody Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 23:57 BST (UK) »
Samuel married Isabella Hazlett Morrison. (possible Hazlett/Morrison marriage)...They had a son Samuel born 1880,  Henry Hazlett Dunwoody born 1883. They lived at The Diamond in Monaghan town. There are a few Foster Dunwoodys around. I don't have a Samuel as son of Foster
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 08:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark,
                         I have the marriage of Dunwoody/Morrison and also the Morrison /Haslett and the births of the Dunwoody children. I did not know of their residence in Monaghan so that is a bonus. The family emigrated to Canada about 1886 and I have the family details there. However any information on the Dunwoodys in Monaghan will be appreciated.
          Again, many thank

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 10:18 BST (UK) »
Well there are a few Foster Dunwoodys around so you'd really need a little bit of informaton to decide which one it is, possibly there might be a townland or something on one of your previous marriages that could point to the correct family.

Other than that you could look for Samuel's parents marriage cert, as Civil Reg for them would have started by then, you should get townland. Then look for Dunwoody in that townland to get the correct one.

Offline teresa911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 August 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather was Samuel Morrison Dunwoody. Born 1880 in Monaghan, Ireland. I stumbled upon your post about the Dunwoodys from Monaghan. Any info would be much appreciated, or a point in the right direction. My branch of the family tree now lives in Canada.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 August 11 14:13 BST (UK) »
You would probably be better off not posting too much of your information on line to be "harvested", kingskerswell seems to have some details and once you have made 3 postings here then you can share your research privately. Strangely enough I did come across a reference to a Wm Dunwoody from Canada marrying in 1915 in Monaghan, so it looks like they kept in communication with Monaghan.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 August 11 07:29 BST (UK) »
Teresa,
          Looks as though we may be related. Samuel Morrison Dunwoody's mother was my Great-aunt, the sister of my Grandmother. I cannot give you too much information on the Dunwoodys but I have a lot of information on the Morrisons. As Hallmark has stated, when you have made three posts I will contact you using the Personal Message (PM) system to answer any questions which you have.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline teresa911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 August 11 23:19 BST (UK) »
I look forward to making the connection with the Morrisons. I am just starting to investigate my family tree and I am a complete novice. I appreciate the heads up on not posting too much information. Thanks!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 August 11 08:27 BST (UK) »
Teresa,
           If your Samuel Morrison Dunwoody married Florence Jane Webb on 18 Sept 1812 in Winnipeg then we are considering the same man. I do not have much experience using Canadian records but I am in contactwith another lady in Canada who is descended from Samuel. I believe she lives in the Winnipeg area. However I have some experience with Irish records.
           If you e-mail me using the address which I have sent I will be happy to pass on details.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim