Author Topic: Belinda and Lucie  (Read 4106 times)

Offline lynda c

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belinda and Lucie
« on: Sunday 13 April 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for Belinda and Lucie Conniss the last adress I have for them I found it on their brothers Army records is 36 John st Burghton Glasgow ages recorded as Belinda 57 Lucie 45 . Anyone out there no of these two women or can you help point me in the direction I need to go to find them . thankyou
Lynda
PS they lived in Glasgow in 1918

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Belinda and Lucie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 April 14 11:05 BST (UK) »
Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and invest in a few credits. Use some of these to find and download the 1911 and/or 1901 census records for Belinda and Lucie. Remember that spelling may vary so use the wildcards to extend your search.

You should still have enough credits to look for the death certificates of Lucie and Belinda, which, if you find them, should tell you the full names of their parents, including their mother's maiden surname.

The 1881 lists Belinda Conest, aged 19, born England, as a servant in the household of James Murray, musician, at 51 College Street, Glasgow. I have not found Lucie in Glasgow, however.

FreeBMD http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl lists the birth of Belinda Charlotte George Coneys in St Luke, London in the third quarter of 1861.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 April 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
There is a possible death showing for Belinda in Glasgow in 1944. A Belinda Connis died then, born c. 1861. For this period you can view death certificates online on the pay to view site SP that Forfarian has linked above. Another surname of Fleming showing. You can't tell until you look at the image which surname is the maiden name and which is the married name....although there is a marriage showing in the Glasgow area in 1882 between a Belinda Connis and a male Fleming. Again, this marriage cert is available to view online on SP.

Can't see a possible death for Lucie though, searching with wildcards for spellings, in Scotland after 1918.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 April 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
Linda, is this family to do with this last post here:

Looking at James William Conniss (1887-1918) WW1 service record I've come across a Patrick Gavin age 50 in Galway and Lucie Conniss (45) and Belinda Conniss (57) both living at 36 John St. Burghton(?) Glasgow. They were listed under Uncles and Aunts!
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.britisles.ireland.gal.general/8222.1.1.1/mb.ashx

I see a likely death entry here for him in 1918 with a brother's details www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/191674/CONNISS,%20J%20W

Also, his WW1 service papers give a sister's name as next of kin: Miss Mary Conniss, 58 O'Connell Street, Limerick, Ireland.

Why is there a question mark over whether Belinda, Lucie and Patrick Conniss were aunts and uncles to James William? These service papers are very detailed in respect of next of kin. Including ages for family members, how they were related (full blood, half blood etc.) and addresses for each.

Apart from Edward, 32, who showed as a brother and living in Bedford, Mary who showed as NOK on his attestment papers, there were also:

Samuel, 30, living in Devon.
David, 28, living in Winchester.

Aunts as you have: Belinda and Lucie in Glasgow with their ages and address. Also an Uncle Patrick Gavin, 50, living in Galway, and mentioned on the other post linked above.

Monica

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Belinda looks to be in Glasgow on the 1871 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VBPW-CWN

Belinda Conis age 9 living in High Church District Glasgow

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 April 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Looby  :) Showing as Canis on the transcript:

Samuel Canis 50 General Dealer b. Ireland
Jean Canis 45 General Dealer b. Ireland
Samuel Canis 17 General Dealer b. Glasgow
David Canis 16 Shoemaker (apprentice) b. Glasgow
Eliza J Canis 14 b. Glasgow https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ3D-KPJ
James Canis 12 b. Haddingtonshire https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYBP-NPP
Belinda Canis 9 b. S Luke, London
Mary Canis 7 b. S Luke, London
Louisa Canis 5 S Luke, London (Lucie later?)
John Canis 3 b. S Luke, London

Address: 18 Little Dovehill Glasgow High Church

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 April 14 12:33 BST (UK) »
Some RC baptisms showing for Samuel and wife Jane/jean's children on SP in their RC Births & Baptisms' Registers database.

Not surprisingly, the surname is tricky to search for everywhere and helps to use wildcards where possible  ::)

Linda, from what has been found, does look likely that Belinda, Lucie and Patrick (Gavin) were aunts and uncles to James William.

What have you got so far for the family of James William born c. 1887? You mentioned on the other post his mother was a Bridget Gavin (sister of Patrick mentioned living in Galway?) and she had remarried a Martin Cannon?

Monica

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 April 14 12:36 BST (UK) »
Have looked at the service record myself and I don't think these are sisters of James William.   The information for them is shown in the aunts/uncles box together with a Patrick Gavin.

Trees on Ancestry show that a David William Conniss married a Bridget Gavin and children shown as:

Edward Allen Johnston b.1883 Galway
John b.1884
James William b.1886
David James b.1888 (died?)
Samuel John b.1888
David Robert b.1890
Mary Ann b.1892

Father David Conniss shown bc.1857 Carraroe, Galway, d.Mar.qtr. 1894 Oughterard, Galway.

Wife Bridget clearly remarried after but was deceased by 1901.

1901 Census - Rusheenduff, Rinvyle, Galway

Mortin Cannon, widower   47    Hawker
Edward Connis    18     Shoemaker
James Connis    14
David Connis   11
Mary Anne Connis  9

Belinda Charlotte George Fleming, widow of William Fleming, d.1/8/1944 Mill Street, Glasgow.
Shown as daughter of Samuel Connis, Shoemaker (deceased) and Jane, nee Best, (deceased).

This matches the birth found in London and therefore suggests they could the parents of JW'S father David Belinda was indeed his sister (and JW's aunt).   I'm also wondering if the 'Lucie' is actually Lucia (looks like that to me on service record).

Finally, what an awful surname it is to pursue in the records - so many variations.

Annette

PS I see others have been following my thoughts but will post anyway. 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 April 14 13:01 BST (UK) »
That really helps Annette  :)

From that list you showed for James William's siblings, we can a reference to all (apart from the John b. 1884 - maybe deceased as he doesn't show on the 1901 census entry you have listed) mentioned in James William's service papers, including their ages and where they were living c. 1918 and 1919.

The only question mark I would have for now from the info posted on the tree is whether James William's father David was born in Galway or the Glasgow area as showing in 1871. There are also two entries on SP Catholic Register of Births & Baptisms for a David to Samuel and Jane Best. The two entries would likely be one for a birth and the other for the baptism. Not sure if they will include place of birth, but the birth register entry at least will confirm hopefully his birth date.

Monica