Author Topic: Campbell/Wylie Clackmannanshire  (Read 4340 times)

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Campbell/Wylie Clackmannanshire
« on: Wednesday 13 January 10 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Hope someone can help!

Jean Campbell was I THINK bap 15 Oct 1776 Clackmannan to Peter Campbell and Isobel Wylie.

Jean Campbell married Robert Donaldson 4 Nov 1798. Banns in both Dollar and Clackmannan. States bride in Clackmannan and groom in Dollar (although presumably they got together for the wedding LOL!)

Robert Donaldsons parents = James Donaldson and Margaret Sinclair. He was bap 13 Jul 1772 in
Dunfermline.

Children of Jean Campbell and Robert Donaldson = Betty 1799   Margaret 1801  James 1803 Katharine 1805   Henry 1807   John 1809   Janet 1811.

I am worried I have the wrong parents for Jean Campbell. The names of the children do not fit. What do people think? perhaps her mother was Betty and her father was also James?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell/Wylie Clackmannanshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 10 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Vair,

The most common Scottish naming practice was that the first son was named after the paternal grandfather, the second son after the maternal grandfather and the third son after the father, whilst the first daughter would be named after the maternal grandmother, the second daughter after the paternal grandmother and the third daughter after the mother.

However, this doesn't seem to have been followed by Robert and Jean.  Yes, the eldest son James is named after his father, and the second daughter Margaret is named after his mother, but the second son is Henry and the first daughter is Betty - which would imply that Jean was the daughter of Henry Campbell and Betty/Elizabeth.  However, that analysis may be wrecked by the fact that the third son was named John (and not Robert) and the third daughter was named Katharine (and not Jean).  So perhaps they just did not follow the usual practice - it was by no means universal.

Hope that helps.

David.

Offline johnhills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell/Wylie Clackmannanshire
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 May 12 23:26 BST (UK) »
I have Campbells's and Donaldson's in my family tree the Campbell's being Jane b1851,Joanna b1843and Janet b1849 the parents being John Campbell and Jane Henderson b abt 1815-16.There is an a Elizabeth Donaldson b abt 1874 (from Glasgow)apparently a Neice of Joanna bit I'm not shore of whom her parents were as the info I have gleamed none of the 3 girls was married to a Donaldson.They were all from Clackmannanshire The information is from the 1901 census.

John Hills
Hamilton's and Dewar's, Richardson's,Campbell's,Paxton's Scotland