Author Topic: Is this a school in Benington - if not what and where please?  (Read 13346 times)

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this a school in Benington - if not what and where please?
« on: Thursday 28 March 13 10:23 GMT (UK) »
My father Walter Bedwell (deceased) was sent to Australia as an "orphan" [subsequently I have proved he was not an orphan] under the Fairbridge Farm scheme. He used to say that he was at Benington Farm or School in UK and I have not been able to confirm this. He also sent me this photo of "a school". So I am trying to see if I can have this identified and where I may go to seek further information. Dad left England for Australia on Jervis Bay in 1934 He was born at Lambeth - mother from Leiston SFK.
I know I am clutching at straws, however, I would like o find out as much as I can before I come back to UK at the end of the year.

I have had so much assistance from Rootschat with my maternal side of NBL and my dad's side from Leiston - now hoping to add "flesh to the bones".

Thank you in muso-bob
Turnbull - (Cramlington - Northumberland)
Turnbull - (South Shields - Durham)
Winn - (Morpeth -  Northumberland)
Hill - (Staffordshire - [Wednesfield] - Shropshire [Pontesbury])
Bedwell - ([Leiston] - Suffolk) - ([London] Middlesex)
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a school in Benington - if not what and where please?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 March 13 16:14 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry, there is a story written by Walter "Blue" Bedwell - is this your father?

As such, the building may well be the Orphanage at St Augustine's, Kilburn, London?
Benington is a small picturesque village in Hertfordshire (population c1000), and would have been unlikely to have such a large building?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 13 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Bob,

I agree with Kevin, that looks very much like a town school to me. My immediate reaction was that it was a London County Council school, but my inner-London-born husband disagrees on the basis of the architectural style  ::)

As such, the building may well be the Orphanage at St Augustine's, Kilburn, London?

A small part of the orphanage can be seen here, in the foreground http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t9p/, the photo taken in 1957 and the building in a state of disrepair. Only a small part of it can be seen, but I'm not convinced it's the same place. (The lighter coloured building beyond it is St Augustine's itself, which is very much NOT in a state of disrepair!)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 March 13 17:35 GMT (UK) »
He also sent me this photo of "a school".

Bob, please could you clarify - did your father say this was the school he attended?

He used to say that he was at Benington Farm or School in UK

If he was an Inner London lad it's possible he went to Benington under the auspices of  something like the the Children's Country Holiday Fund http://www.cchf-allaboutkids.org.uk/ourhistory.htm  :-\  My own father-in-law and his brothers all went regularly to a village near Peterborough from Camden town in the 1920's and 1930's on CCCF holidays

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 March 13 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Kevin - thank you for your response. I know that 'story' on Ancestry. Unfortunately it refers to quite a number of living people. The statement re his father O'Connell is totally unfounded and not recorded anywhere. The family tree you refer to is not one I have added to that web-site.

I have my father's birth certificate and no father is recorded. The statement re Kilburn I have located among my papers now and is one I will investigate further. I appreciate your reply and the lead to look at the Orphanage angle.
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 March 13 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jen, Thanks for your efforts with my NBL quests.
My dad gave me a number of clippings, copies of photos etc and I am trying to identify as many as I can. This picture is one he had printed at a photo shop and laminated. No description at all unfortunately. Certainly now the orphanage is a probability I feel. I did not think of that as I thought this looked like a school. Once again Rootschat proves its immense power as a resource.

To answer your queries - no dad did not say this was the school he attended or any of the other bits I have. He just told me that he went to school and during the war visited places he believed he had been.

Your link does look very much like my photo. So I will do some digging in that area.

Even when dad met 'Aunty Lily' during WWII while he was stationed in UK she never owned up as his mother. Also I have since found his sister (deceased). Also Lily was one of 3 children and step-sister to others when her mother married for the first time to a Benjamin Miller of Leiston, SFK.

Thanks again and pleased our paths have crossed once again. I will be in UK Dec 2013 to Apr 2014 searching. Bob
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 March 13 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Various ramblings ...................... (feel free to ignore)

My initial reaction to the photo was "workhouse".
4 stories high. (Kilburn St Aug does not look like 4)
The Boston (Lincs) workhouse was 4 stories, and seems to have links to Ben(n)ington (Herts) / Herts Union-Poor Law

You don't mention Lily Bedwell's age/dob.

There is a family.... Lily born Watford, one of eight children, whose parents come from Gt Barrington  (Glos)
(A number of Bedwell names around Watford)

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 March 13 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Your link does look very much like my photo. So I will do some digging in that area.

Bob, you have misunderstood what I said. I said I felt that what could could be seen of the orphanage in the link was not the same as your photo.

Only a small part of it can be seen, but I'm not convinced it's the same place.

The only part of the orphanage in the photo I linked to is in the foreground. The large building beyond is the church. St Augustine's.

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 March 13 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ray, thank you for your contribution - it may be a workhouse and if so a new question: why did my da have this and give to me in his package.
Lily, his mother (my grandmother) born Leiston 1 Jul 1886 died Leiston 12 Mar 1959 - I have visited her unmarked grave. She is the daughter of Elizabeth Anna (maiden name) Bedwell (1886-1901) who had 3 daughters, Rosa 1883, Lily 1886 and Annie 1891; then married Benjamin Miller 1892 and gave birth to 4 children before dying at age 33 - all Leiston. My grandmother was in service and worked at the Belgravia Hotel, Kensington around the birth of my dad.

So I am not sure how there could be links with a workhouse. That is a new area for me to consider so will do my homework. I appreciate all of these ideas.
Fisher - (Suffolk)