Author Topic: JEFFRIES - St Albans Hertfordshire - parish records - lookup please  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Driftygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JEFFRIES - St Albans Hertfordshire - parish records - lookup please
« on: Saturday 20 September 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm seeking parish records if some kind person would do a look up for either St Peters or The Abbey in St Albans.

I hope I've done this correctly as I haven't done many posts.

I have a Jeffries family from St Albans Hertfordshire, UK. I'm trying to find a marriage record for a Henry Jeffries to Anne - I don't know the surname. I think the marriage is likely to be The Abbey as all the children I've found so far were baptized there.

Henry Jeffries was born c 1770 ( not sure whether he was born in St Albans yet) and
I've found the following children of Henry and Ann were born/baptized at the Abbey in St Albans :
Jane 1798
Henry 1800
Elizabeth 1801
Joseph 1803 - baptized 31 July 1803 at the Abbey, possibly died 1810
Henry William 1805
Sarah Ann 1807
There are possibly 2 other children Caroline and Robert born/baptized c 1821 who may be children from another wife? But I'm not sure of this yet.

I've traced two of the children - Sarah Ann Jeffries 1807 who married a William Balls on 17 November 1844 at Colney Chapel. They later moved to St Peters, St Albans and joined Henry Jeffries Jnr (1800) as fishmongers. Sarah died in between the 1861 and 1871 census for St Peters St Albans.
The other child I've traced is Henry Jeffries 1800 who married an Esther/Hester/Ester Adams - but again I've not been able to locate a marriage for Henry to Esther. I think the marriage occurred between the 1851 and 1861 census. Henry appeared to live his whole life in St Peters St Albans. I would love to find a marriage for Henry Jeffries junior as he is my great grandfather.

Any information on this family would be most welcome as it is proving to be a difficult family to trace.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: JEFFRIES - St Albans Hertfordshire - parish records - lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 September 14 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Driftygirl,
Welcome to RootsChat.
Source: Hertfordshire Family History Society
Abbey, St Albans, Burials:-
16/11/1802, Elizabeth JEFFREYS, infant
10/12/1802, Henry JEFFRIES, aged 3
06/07/1810, Joseph JEFFREYS, aged 7
St Peter, St Albans, Burials:-
06/06/1815, Jane JEFFERIES, aged 13
Hope that helps?
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Driftygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 September 14 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Victor

Thank you so much for this information, it certainly looks like my family. This now poses another question on the burial of Henry Jeffries aged 3. He may not be a relation. Do you know whether parish records for children listed the parents, or was this just for the baptisms? I'm a bit new on the parish records side of things and as I'm in Australia I don't have a lot of access to these sorts of records.

many thanks again this is great.

cheers

Lilian

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Lilian,
Parish records (PRs) for burials do not, generally, identify the parents at this time.
You could try contacting the Hertfordshire Family History Society who will hold data on these PRs.
www.hertsfhs.org.uk
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/search

includes records for St Albans. There are baptisms for children of Henry and Anne Jeffries - the first I think is Mary Anne in 1797, and some slightly later ones for Henry and Elizabeth - the first seems to be William in 1814.  So you may be looking at the same Henry with two different wives.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Driftygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Victor

Thanks very much for the information, I'll follow up with the Hertfordshire Family History Society, that's a good lead. I'm a bit of a beginner in the parish records.

cheers

Lilian

Offline Driftygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Galium

Thanks for the information, I had found these baptisms and was wondering the same thing too, did  Henry marry twice. I've hopefully found a death for Henry in 1844 - taken a punt and ordered the certificate so this may shed a bit more light on the matter.

I'm pretty certain I've found Henry in the 1841 census with his two daughters Sarah and Caroline. I'm just trying to find some more evidence to confirm that Caroline was his daughter. The census lists Henry as a fishmonger and Sarah and Caroline have I think Pl against their names in the  employment column. Do you know what this stands for - I thought maybe pupil but they are aged 30 and 20? The reference for the census is
Piece:447  Book:5   Folio:39  Page Number:30
The reference on the census page itself is HO 107/447/5 in District 8 St Albans, Hertfordshire.

many thanks

Lilian

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Many people were employed in straw hat making in St Albans, and around Hertfordshire in the 19th century. I think the 'Pl' indicates straw plaiter - there are a good few of them in that census book, all women and girls, so far as I can see. There's even a six year old on the same page as the Jeffries family.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Driftygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Galium

Many thanks for the reply on what the Pl stands for; yes that makes a lot of sense now. Thank you. I'd found children of Henry Jeffries (son of Henry Jeffries 1773 and also a fishmonger) as straw plaiters in St Albans,  but the occupation was spelt out rather than abbreviated in the later census returns I'd found.

I've also managed to refine Henry Jeffries date of birth to 1773 as I now have a death certificate for him at St Albans in 1844. Unfortunately none of his family were witness to the death, as an Ann Varney was.

cheers

Lilian