Author Topic: Burke's of Mounthoward  (Read 22765 times)

Offline moguemosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burke's of Mounthoward
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 April 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am also researching Burke's of Mounthoward, Monamolin, Gorey. Patrick Burke was born c.1880.
Patrick Burke age 20, son of Patrick Burke, married on 30.9.1900, Margaret Mythen. Witness is James Swords. They have 5 children in the 1911 Census for Mounthoward. I'm sure there must be a connection. Did your Margaret Burke marry more than once?
All in County Wexford
Breslin/Breslawn: Monaseed
Burke: Monamolin.
Byrne: Ballycanew.
Cullimore: Killurin.
Dempsey: North Co.Wexford
Doyle: Horetown.
Doyle: Killurin.
Doyle: Newbawn.
Fardy: Killurin.
Kinsella: Ballycanew.
Kinsella: Killenagh.
Kinsella: Monamolin.
Larkin: Killurin.
Lumsden: All Wexford
Moran: Adamstown.
Moran: Killurin.
Mythen: Oulart.
Ryan: Killurin.
Swords: Monamolin.
Tee/Tighe: Coolafancy, Co. Wicklow.
Tighe/Tee Monaseed.
Wafer: Ballygarrett/Monamolin

Offline trying hard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 May 10 09:14 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother, Margaret Burke married three times!!   First husband died abt.1918.
second husband died 1938, her third husband (1949) was from laoise.

Offline moguemosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 May 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
Your information confirms it; we are researching the same family. I have information on most of Margaret’s seven siblings. Their parents Patrick Burke and Margaret Swords marriage appears in the marriage register in Monamolin RC Church for 1867 but the marriage was not registered with the Civil authorities so it does not appear in the GRO registers, I do not know whose fault this was. Because of this we are unable to find out the Fathers of the Bride and Groom.

Some of Margaret’s nieces, nephews and cousins went to her funeral in another County, but they could not remember where it was.

I would be interested in sharing information. Please contact me through a Personal Message.

All in County Wexford
Tighe/Tee Monaseed.

Offline Marion B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Here are photos of great grandparents' grave (Thomas and Catherine Burke)and my G Grandfather's brother  (Patrick Burke) and his wife (Margaret) and their son (Michael's) grave.  They are buried in the Monamolin graveyard.

My g grandmother was born Catherine Murphy and was known as 'Bow-wow' and her and Tom lived in Monamolin/Boolavogue.

Anyway, I don't know if the dates on the stones help at all or will just confuse matters as I don't know how many Burkes there are in that area. My grandfather was also called Patrick Burke and was born (I think) in 1899, possibly in Coolroe, but lived at Ballinavounia, Kilmuckridge until he died in 1984.
Wexford (Monamolin, Kilmuckridge, Mounthoward): Burke, Kinsella, Swords, Murphy, Sinnott, (Ballygarrett): Ivory, Byrne, Redmond.

Roscommon: Mullen, 
Monaghan: Edgar, McGowan

Offline rosemod60

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 November 11 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Any chance you would have information on James Kinsley (Kinsella) born abt 1754 Mount Howard Lower, Monamolin, Wexford?  He married a Mary Sinnot (var spellings) and they had the following children, born between 1805 and 1818: Catherine, Michael, John, James, Mary, William, David and Ellen.

Some members of this family emigrated to Wyoming County, Pa and eventually founded the village of Stowell there, where they built a church that still stands today.

Thank you for any help that you can offer.

Mary

Offline moguemosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 November 11 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary

I do not have much original information on our Kinsella of Mounthoward line. It mostly comes from the Family Tree on the Internet for Kinsley of “The Irish Settlement”, which you are probably aware of.

On that Tree it shows the Mary Kinsella you mention (daughter of James Kinsley and Mary Sinnott) in your post marrying Michael Swords.

Their daughter Margaret Swords married Patrick Burke in 1867.

On the headstones in the previous post, by Marion B, you will see:

Patrick Burke died 30th March 1963 aged 81 yrs,
Thomas Burke died 12th Oct 1968 aged 88,

Patrick Burke and Thomas Burke are the sons of this Margaret Burke nee Swords and her husband, the above mentioned Patrick Burke, who married in 1867.

I hope this is of some use, and you can understand what I am saying.

In Monamolin Graveyard there are several graves of the later generations of the Kinsella families who remained in Ireland.

I will hopefully attach a copy of the family tree of “The Irish Settlement”

Mogue.

All in County Wexford
Tighe/Tee Monaseed.

Offline Marion B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 December 11 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot for supplying this information, moguemosey. I thought I'd found all the information I could.

I now know that I am also a direct decendant of James Kinsella and Mary Sinnott (There must be a lot of us around now...hundreds probably!) They are my Gx5 grandparents. Patrick Burke and Margaret Swords are my GG grandparents. Amazing to stumble on this information.  :)

Wexford (Monamolin, Kilmuckridge, Mounthoward): Burke, Kinsella, Swords, Murphy, Sinnott, (Ballygarrett): Ivory, Byrne, Redmond.

Roscommon: Mullen, 
Monaghan: Edgar, McGowan

Offline rustico93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 September 12 13:24 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother, Margaret Burke married three times!!   First husband died abt.1918.

Hi all,new to RootsChat! My Grandmother was Margaret Burke. She wed Bernard(Bryan?) Redmond 1902.Census of 1911 living Ballinagam Lower,had at least 9 children before Bernard/Bryan died of Spanish Flu in 1918.She wed Edward Doyle in 1920,had 3 children.Edward died 26/12/1938,age 63yrs.
She then wed Patrick Phelan in 1949 - no children. Buried with 2nd. husband Edward in Donaghmore Cemetery, Ballygarrett,Wexford 30/10/1951 age 70yrs. Patrick buried Clonenagh Cemetery,Mountrath,Laoise.
I have no info on my Grandfather at all.

Offline rustico93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 September 12 16:39 BST (UK) »

Hi all,new to RootsChat! My Grandmother was Margaret Burke. She wed Bernard(Bryan?) Redmond 1902.Census of 1911 living Ballinagam Lower,had at least 9 children before Bernard/Bryan died of Spanish Flu in 1918.She wed Edward Doyle in 1920,had 3 children.Edward died 26/12/1938,age 63yrs.
She then wed Patrick Phelan in 1949 - no children. Buried with 2nd. husband Edward in Donaghmore Cemetery, Ballygarrett,Wexford 30/10/1951 age 70yrs. Patrick buried Clonenagh Cemetery,Mountrath,Laoise.

Trying Hard 2