Author Topic: James YOUNG RN surgeon Banff and Portsoy  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James YOUNG RN surgeon Banff and Portsoy
« on: Tuesday 14 October 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have info on the parentage and/or background of Dr/Mr James YOUNG, RN, surgeon first in Banff (in 1787) and then in Portsoy (in 1788). He married Margaret RANNIE in 1787 in Cullen. He had died by 1807 when his daughter Janet YOUNG married Thomas DUNCAN junior advocate in Aberdeen (according to Aberdeen KS records apparently - I haven't seen them). After her husband died, Janet YOUNG married Harry LEITH LUMSDEN of Auchindoir, so she did very well (his Will and their marriage contract are together some 160 pages in Scotlands People - 10 credits well spent - but no help in identifying James YOUNG!).

In 1787, "Dr Jas YOUNG in Portsoy" was witness to a child of Alexander YOUNG & Margaret CHRISTIE, born in Gray's Yards, Fordyce. This Alexander YOUNG was a farm servant and labourer who lived in Kilnhillock and Barnyards of Findlater, both also in Fordyce parish; he might be a brother of Ann YOUNG my 4xgtgdmother who married Peter GEDDES. I'm unable to determine the parentage of both Ann YOUNG and this Alexander YOUNG, and having mighty trouble trying to fathom out how all these Cullen and Fordyce based YOUNGs relate, if at all.

Can this Alexander YOUNG be related to this Dr James YOUNG, even brothers? His wife is almost certainly born 24 Mar 1765 Cullen to Mungo RANNIE manufacturer in Cullen & Margaret GRANT.