Author Topic: Henry Elliott SMITH x 2, Father and Son  (Read 15889 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Elliott SMITH x 2, Father and Son
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 12 August 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
He married an Isabella Brabazon (1839-1923) (sometimes spelled Brabason)

There's a death of an Isabella Brabazon listed in the BMD Index in April-June Qtr 1923 :

Name: Isabella Brabazon
 Registration District: Dublin South
 Event Type: Death
 Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1923
 Age (at Death): 84   (est. year of birth: 1839)
 volume 2 / page : 306

Not sure if this Isabella has become crossed with your one - but a death for a widow would be recorded in her married name (i.e. Smith).

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 12 August 10 16:10 BST (UK) »
1928 London, England > Freemantle, Australia-
J. Semple (male) age 47
F.H. Semple (female) age 48
W. J. Semple (male) age 17
L.L. Semple (male) age 11

Leslie Lloyd Semple birth July/Sept.1916 Dublin South registration district volume 2 page 527

Mayors of Derry (city) - 1915 Robert N. Anderson, 1963 Albert Anderson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor_of_Derry
Short biography of Albert Wesley Anderson (23 July 1907-1985)-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Anderson_%28politician%29
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 August 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
Canberraterry

The following is a long shot
The Irish Times newspaper for the 27th January 1870 on Page 3 in the Law Report makes reference to a Robert William Elliott (Accountant) Insolvent  employed by Messrs Guinness & Mahon at No.17 College Green , Dublin.
I clearly note the different surname but am still wondering.....

Regards     Quaxer

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 August 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
Canberraterry

The following is a long shot
The Irish Times newspaper for the 27th January 1870 on Page 3 in the Law Report makes reference to a Robert William Elliott (Accountant) Insolvent employed by Messrs Guinness & Mahon at No.17 College Green , Dublin.
I clearly note the different surname but am still wondering.....

Regards Quaxer

Quaxer,

That is a great bit of information. thank you. Family history is a bit vague here, but the second christian name of Elliott reputedly was in honour of an uncle (real or "adopted") who worked in Guinness Mahon Bank, possibly as a director, and was instrumental in assisting the younger one when his father died early. This Elliott may have been that one or a relative at least.

Terry
Humble, Cunningham, Ferguson, Browne, Smith, Brabazon, Pincombe, Black, Mackie, White

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 12 August 10 22:14 BST (UK) »

Not sure if this Isabella has become crossed with your one - but a death for a widow would be recorded in her married name (i.e. Smith).

Shane

Thanks Shane,

On reflection I think that you are correct and that the dates for this Isabella have been incorrectly assumed for my Isabella.

Terry
Humble, Cunningham, Ferguson, Browne, Smith, Brabazon, Pincombe, Black, Mackie, White

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 12 August 10 22:19 BST (UK) »
1928 London, England > Freemantle, Australia-
J. Semple (male) age 47
F.H. Semple (female) age 48
W. J. Semple (male) age 17
L.L. Semple (male) age 11

Leslie Lloyd Semple birth July/Sept.1916 Dublin South registration district volume 2 page 527

Mayors of Derry (city) - 1915 Robert N. Anderson, 1963 Albert Anderson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor_of_Derry
Short biography of Albert Wesley Anderson (23 July 1907-1985)-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Anderson_%28politician%29

Thanks aghadowey, that is the correct family. I don't feel so bad now knowing that the records in relation to HE and Isabella Smith appear to be incomplete. Thank you very much for your efforts on my behalf.
Terry

Terry

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 August 10 06:57 BST (UK) »
Following further research I now think that the mystery surrounding the missing records of the marriage of Henry Elliott SMITH and Isabella Anne BRABAZON is now solved, thanks to all who participated.

Isabella's father, Rev John Vignoles Brabazon was Church of Ireland, while Henry Elliott Smith was a Primitive Methodist. Apparently that was not a good basis for a marriage. Coming from a secular country I had not previously appreciated the significance of religion in family matters. It appears that Rev John may not have approved of the wedding of his daughter to Henry Smith, and that she therefore may have married secretly under the name of Isabella Browne. It is possible to reconcile the differences between the official records of the children and our family records, if we allow for family names to be derivations of actual names, and if one birth is put in a different sequence. There is still some way to go to be certain, but this thesis seems to be the most likely explanation.

I am still seeking information on the groom's father.

Thank you to all who participated for your greatly appreciated assistance, and to this wonderful forum in general!

Terry

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Just reading through this early thread again and believe I should offer some corrections for others who may be interested, as my thesis at the time was rubbish.

In the intervening time I have collected a lot of family papers, photos etc and now know that the supposed Brabason connection is pretty tenuous.

I now know that there was only one Henry Elliott Smith, my great grandfather, the son of William Smith and Anne (surname unknown). Henry's wife was Isabella Browne as was stated by others in this thread, and I have been able to trace her parents Stephen Browne and Anne (nee Bailey) and sister Martha. All the children's birth certificates show their mother's name as Browne except the last, my grandfather John's, which shows the maiden surname as Brabason. It remains a mystery why this should be so as there is a marked resemblance between the facial features of Henry and John.

Thanks again for all of your assistance when I was just starting this quest.

Terry

Offline LilianConstance

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just spotted this thread while doing some research. It it's any help to you, Frances Isabella Clarence Brabazon is the daughter of Isabella Georgina Brabazon, nee Cash, through her marriage to Harry Lambert Brabazon, who died c. 1849. Frances Isabella Clarence Brabazon married James William Knott in 1862 and her mother, Isabella, married for the second time the following year, to George Kennedy, a widower.

I hope this may be useful.