Author Topic: John McNicol m Ann Leitch 1854  (Read 38168 times)

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McNicol m Ann Leitch 1854
« on: Monday 25 May 09 14:44 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on John McNicol and Ann Leitch, who married in Glasgow in October 1854.

John was born 31 October 1834 in Glenorchy, Argyllshire. (Parents' names may be Hugh and Christina.)
Ann was born 29 September 1832 in Glenorchy, Argyllshire.

They travelled to Australia (date unknown but probably 1854-55) perhaps initially to Tasmania (the Leitch family were a pioneer family in Tasmania) but they settled in Victoria and raised their family in the Costerfield area. Both are buried in Heathcote cemetery, Victoria.

Children born to John and Ann (believed to be all born in Australia):  Finley (1855), Archibald (1859), Agnes (1861 & 1863), John (1865), Donald (1868), Christina (1870), and Hugh Duncan (1872).

Details of both John and Ann's parents, siblings, occupations, addresses etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I'm very new to genealogical research but loving it so far and fully expecting to become obsessed ;D

Giuliana in Australia
Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John McNicol m Ann Leitch 1854
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 09 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Giuliana

You have quite precise birth dates for John and Ann, what's the source for these?

There is an entry in the 1851 census for a John McNicol born in 1834 in Glenorchy, Argyll. He is working as a shepherd at Coiletter Farm in Killin, Perthshire.

I wonder if this is him in with family in 1841 - they all show as born outside the county of Perthshire:

Finlay McNicol 49, agr. lab.
Anne McNicol 47
Donald McNicol 16
Christian McNicol 9
John McNicol 7
Mary McNicol 5

Address: Clifton Village, Killin

If John and Ann followed Scottish naming pattern, first born son would normally be called after his paternal grandfather. Given you have a son Finley showing as born in 1855, this family looks promising.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 09 18:26 BST (UK) »
This is Finlay and wife Ann in the 1851 census with a little bit more detail:

Finlay McNicol 59, lead miner, b. Inveraray, Argyllsh
Ann McNicol 55, b. Bonaw (?spl), Argyllsh
Dond McNicol 23, lead miner, b. Dalmally, Argyllsh
Duncan McNicol 21, shepher, b. Glenorchy, Argyllsh
Mary McNicol 14, b. Glenorchy, Argyllsh
Duncan Kennedy 4, grandson, b. Glasser, Lanark 

Address: Fox Hunter St, Clifton, Killin

There are a few children showing on IGI at www.familysearch.org which may be part of this family. To Finlay McNicol and Ann McKenzie:

1. MARGARET MCNICOL Christening: 06 JUN 1824 Glenorchy And Inishail, Argyll
2. DONALD MCNICOL Birth: 04 JAN 1828 Glenorchy And Inishail, Argyll
3. DUNCAN MCNICOL  Christening: 03 MAY 1828 Glenorchy And Inishail, Argyll
4. CHRIRSTIAN MCNICOL Christening: 08 JUL 1831 Glenorchy And Inishail, Argyll

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 09 19:00 BST (UK) »
The closest I can see for Ann in the 1841 census with a slightly earlier birth year is this entry - everyone showing as born in the County:

Archibald Leitch 50, agr. lab.
Hugh Leitch 20
Mary Leitch 20
Janet Leitch 14
Ann Leitch 12
Archibald Leitch 7
Duncan Leitch 55, mariner
Allan McNicol 45, agr. lab

Address: Catush, Glenorchy Argyll

Again, in 1851, I can only see one Ann showing as born in Glenorchy, likely to be the Ann above as she shows as born c. 1829. She is working as a domestic servant away from home.

Monica

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 01:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica. It feels as if there's a team of elves working away while I sleep!

I had these families in my "possibles" list but you've provided additional information for me to continue my investigations. Much appreciated!

Giuliana
Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 May 09 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Giuliana

You have quite precise birth dates for John and Ann, what's the source for these? <snip>  If John and Ann followed Scottish naming pattern, first born son would normally be called after his paternal grandfather. Given you have a son Finley showing as born in 1855, this family looks promising.

Monica  :)

Have just heard back from the McNicol cousins in Victoria, Australia who said the birthdates and marriage details from John and Ann have come from the family Bible.

Giuliana

Offline annioc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 June 09 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am currently compiling a history of Costerfield and have information about the McNichol family. John McNichol was a man of some standing it appears.

Regards

Anne

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 June 09 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne,

That sounds very exciting! My Mum (now aged 97) grew up in Costerfield, so I'm sure she'd be very interested in your research, as I am. She might even be able to add something.

If I can remember how (as I'm new to RootsChat too), I'll send you a PM (personal message) with my email contact details. (If you don't get the PM, please let me know via this board.)

Regards,

Giuliana

Offline annioc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 June 09 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hello

Costerfield was named after Peniston and Allan Coster and Edwin Field, three of the four initial partner's in the first mine there. However, it was hotly disputed in the district for many years that the original discoverer was John McNicol. Upper Costerfield was named Nicolton in honour of John. I have a copy of a letter that Peniston Coster wrote substantiating this fact. I also have a copy of John and Ann's marriage certificate. I am quite happy to forward these onto you if you do not have them.

How are you connected with the McNicol family? 

Regards

Anne