Author Topic: Brenner family in hull  (Read 3015 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Brenner family in hull
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 August 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
Can we ask a Mod to link these two posts so that we dont duplicate?

topics merged ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 August 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
Did Johan and Catherine move to Ireland for a while?

There is an online tree showing them in Ireland for the 1911 census with children Fredr (7) and Alice (4)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001648621/

Both the above children tie in with births in the Hull area- Alice Freeda Brenner and John Frederick Brenner .

JJ

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 August 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
In one way it fits, except they claim all born England and speak Irish and English.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001648621/

Possibly a language difficulty?

Offline Trikerider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks to all above for your efforts . Am away from home for a few days at present so have not logged on recently. Thanks for info of their marriage date which gives my great grandmothers maiden name and also that John or Johann may have lodged at another local butchers. They are the grandparents of my mother who lives with my father here in Staffordshire, but my mother who is 82 does not remember any details . She doesn't remember her grandfather as he died before she was born or when she wad very young. She did say that Johann was interned at the start of the 1st world war, but she doesn't know to where. It was at this time or when widowed that her grandmother came to live with her family. She was definite about the spelling of the surname though, although it seems that surnames were understandably changed due to the situation at the time. I remember my mother,s mother telling me how she hid under the table at the butchers shop due to an angry crowd of locals gathering outside and throwing stones at the Windows. This seems to match other information on the forum and from the Hull history centre about riots taking place due to German bombs causing fatalities in the area.  I will continue to try to access info on census when have more time and more knowledge, until then many thanks again to all who have taken an interest.

Offline Trikerider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 18:52 BST (UK) »
Have just noticed post from Jjen, my grandmother was Alice Freda, but I had no idea about them being in Ireland for the 1911 census, maybe they were visiting there at the time of the census. I will check it again with my mother to ser if it was ever mentioned to her. Contributing though! Thanks again!

Offline Trikerider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 18:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry, meant to say intriguing not contributing!