Author Topic: need someone to point me in right direction  (Read 1377 times)

Offline frangelico

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
need someone to point me in right direction
« on: Thursday 28 August 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
My husband had a uncle who left the family sometime in the 1950s and went to live in Doncaster and no one in the family heard from him again. My late father - in-law said he was a queer character. I am researching my ancesters and my husbands and I found out when his uncle died and sent for his death certificate. We found out from his death certificate that he died in Doncaster in 1996 and it looks like he never married. He must have been in a home as on the certificate it gives the name of the person causing the body to be buried and says her address is Social Services Council House College Road Doncaster.. So I emailed Doncaster Council to see if they could point me in the right direction to find any records about him but they did not reply which I suppose is understandable as they will be very busy.All his siblings are dead and we do not even know what he looked like.
So I wondered if anyone on this site could point me in the right direction.

Thank You.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: need someone to point me in right direction
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 August 14 16:38 BST (UK) »
What sort of records do you mean?
Presumably you have (or can get) his birth cert, you say he never married, and you have his death cert.  Unless he did anything startling in his life of which  a written record remains, Im not sure what else there might be. Other than a Will,  too recent for the Probate index online, but worth checking if he left one.  Or whether his parents left wills and mentioned him in them- might give you more info about him or might not.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 August 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat...It sounds like the Doncaster Social Services may have paid for his funeral from the Social Fund and probably tried to find Family for him first...He could also have been known to Social Services and been receiving support from them....Such as Home Care...If he died in a Care Home..the manager would not want to take responsibility for his burial as they would have been liable for the bill...and would have contacted Social Services if no relatives were known.
You could ring the Adult Care Management Team at Social Services for that area to establish whether he was receiving a care package.
Not sure whether this will take you forward though.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline frangelico

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies. We just wondered what he did all those years living in Doncaster. like what work. I think I will try and get in touch with the Adult care team, as you suggest Treetotal.
Thank you