Author Topic: Well I know its Antrim!  (Read 8704 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Well I know its Antrim!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 November 07 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Also, could John have been married and had first children with Jane (per the possible find in 1881 Scottish Census), then she die and he marry an Elizabeth and has more children? If the Jane in 1881 is a possibility, then likely her surname is Rodger.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline skymoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 November 07 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking for the marriages scotmum  :) The possible 1881 census has john age 22 and jane age 20.  The 1891 and 1901 census in Woolwich agree with those ages (if not the names) so 1866 and 1870 seems way to early.  Although there is every possibility that the Scottish census is the right family, is there any more information on the census than what shows up on ancestry?  I have started looking at this branch of the family three times and each time given up as I can find nothing further on them  :'(
I suppose the answer is to get buying birth certificates although with christmas coming up its not really the best time  ::)
I only recently found Hugh Jr in the records and there is no scan of the entry available on ancestry, cant help but wonder why that is.

Offline ladygrez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 November 07 21:29 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth I found  Antrim  parents' date   of marriage plus wife/mother's maiden name via their Scotland-born son's birth registration ... well worth the price of a search + image view on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk .especially as there is so little to go on in the country of origin.

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 November 07 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Antrim graveyards

Templecorran
Alexander d 27/07/1914 aged 74 and Mary Ferris d. 1947 aged 95, Children Alexander d 28/03/1878, Annie Isabella d  16/11/1883, Alexandra May d.  10/02/1891. Also same gravestone Jennie Donnan Ferris d. 02/05/1944 aged 65, John Ferris d 28/01/1945 buried in Bangor and George Ferris d July 1946 buried San Mateo.

There are also Ferris, Ferres in St Cedma's also in McGarel cemetery these are in Old families of Larne and district book edited by RSJ Clarke

Offline skymoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 December 07 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Scotlands people here I come  ;)
These lot were the first branch of my family I researched and only got to 1891...other branches I have managed to go back alot further and find this so irritating >:( The person who interviewed for the 1901 census wasnt that brilliant either...has surname Ferries as andycand says and has place of birth as countrim  :o
I wont give up though, I am DETERMINED to find out which part of Antrim they are from  ;D

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 December 07 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
On Scotlandspeople there is a marriage in Greenock in 1877 between a John Ferris and an Eliza, also there appears to be only one James (1878) and one William (1880) Ferris born Greenock in the period in question. Its also worth getting the image of the 1881 census to check the details.

If the marriage is the correct one, then that should give you the names of both their parents of John and Eliza/Elizabeth/Jane?.

If you are not familiar with Scotlandspeople PM me and I'll help you.

Andy

Offline skymoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 December 07 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Oh Wow!!! That sounds like a hit  ;D I managed to register on there last night but it took ages for the password to come through so I havent even bought credits yet  :-[
Thanks so much Andy, Ive got a big grin on my face now  ;D
The Ferris are the family my mum is really interested in.  Her mum died when she was a little girl so she had no family 'gossip' to give me like she could on her dads side.  Cant wait to see if these are the right ones  ;D

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 December 07 11:26 GMT (UK) »
There is a Hugh Ferris born 1880 Greenock but he is probably not yours. I found him in both the 1881 and 1891 census with his parents.

Out of curiosity have you Hugh's marriage certificate? The reason I ask is that I couldn't find a birth registration and wondered if John Ferris is named as his father. Sometimes a relative, for various reasons, is taken in by a family and adopts the family surname.

Andy

Offline skymoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 December 07 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I havent a marriage certificate, just the date in 1904 to Charlotte May Goodfellow.  Trying to keep my costs down until after xmas so putting off anything that isnt extra important for the moment.  But Im now realising that my impatience wont hold off that long  ???  Wonder if the kids will accept that Father Christmas has brought them a family tree  ;D