Author Topic: Elliott family, Belfast  (Read 8339 times)

Offline Irishdolly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elliott family, Belfast
« on: Monday 13 October 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am looking for some guidence in tracing my Irish past. I have successfully traced my paternal line back to the 1700's but cannot find any site which lists bmds in Ireland. I have found my maternal great grandparents on the 1911 census in Belfast. I am not sure if I can post the details on here?? But there is William Elliott aged 23 living with his widow mother Ellen, 6 siblings and his neice at 35 Leeson Street.
 In 1901 he is at 35 Abercorn Street North with his parents John and Ellen and 8 siblings.
How do I take my research further back? Are the marriages available anywhere online? Or would I need to view parish records the next time I am over there?
Thank you for reading this, ID

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elliott family, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 October 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
Here's the 1911 census entry you found- Ellen has filled in the details incorrectly (a good thing in this case) and says married 35 years (so c1876), 10 children with 7 living:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Falls/Leeson_Street/173803

Looks like same family here with husband John & 9 children:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Falls_Ward/Abercorn_Street_North/979036
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Irishdolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 October 14 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey, yes they are the records I'd seen. Is there a way of finding and ordering the marriage cert for Williams parents, John and Ellen?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 October 14 18:53 BST (UK) »
Haven't found the marriage yet but did find quite a few of the children in birth indexes (all Belfast district) and Ellen's maiden name was McCusker.

1. John Elliott (30 Nov.1876)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGFZ-CBD (31 Abercorn St. North was the family residence (not father's birthplace, but John likely born at a different address)
2. Mary J. Elliott (19 Mar.1878)
3. James (c1881)
4. Joseph (c1883)
5. Hugh Elliott (15 May 1885)- likely one of the children died before 1911.
6. William Elliott (20 May 1887)
7. Ellen Elliott (22 Sept.1889)
8. Hugh Elliott (29 Nov.1891)
9. George Elliott (3 Mar.1894)
10. Theresa? Elliott
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Irishdolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thats so helpful of you, thank you very much! Would I find marriage records in the same place? And deaths?

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 November 14 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thats so helpful of you, thank you very much! Would I find marriage records in the same place? And deaths?
Hi Irishdolly,

Births, marriage and deaths can be found on www.nidirect.gov.uk  That said I could not find the marriage on there.

I did find a marriage on www.ancestryireland.com between John Elliott and Ellen McCusker in 1875, in the County of Antrim.  The records are transcriptions, but would tell you the exact date, church, names of witnesses etc.  I can tell you that Ellen's father is listed as Joseph.

Good luck,
Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 November 14 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

25-Dec-1875 Belfast, County Antrim
John Elliot, Abercorn St. Roman Catholic. No parental information.
Ellen McCusker, Abercorn St. Roman Catholic. Parents Joseph McCusker & Jane Hughes.
Church:  ST PETER'S Roman Catholic
Witnesses: John McGuigan & Margaret McCusker.

Cheers,
Holly
"All lookups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 November 14 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Ellen seems to have a sister named Sarah who was married 07-Oct-1876 in the same church. She married a John McGuigan (witness on Ellen's marriage). Her address is listed as 33 Abercorn St. Parents Joseph and Jane. Witnesses John Elliot & Ann McCusker.

Holly

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 November 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
The childrens christening sponsors might give you a few names of family to help you trace John and Ellen as they seem to be Elliot and McCusker's.

1. John Elliott - (Date of Birth:23-Nov-1876 Date of Baptism:24-Nov-1876) sponsor - Eliza Jane Elliot
2. Mary J. Elliott - (Date of Birth:22-Jul-1878 Date of Baptism:29-Jul-1878) sponsor - Hannah McCusker
6. William Elliott - (Date of Birth:   20-May-1887 Date of Baptism:22-May-1887) - Sponsors - William & Teresa McCusker. It notes that he married to Mary Begley in St Peter's Belfast on the 4/4/1926.
7. Ellen Elliott - (Date of Birth:21-Sep-1889 Date of Baptism:   23-Sep-1889) Sponsor - Jane McCusker
8. Hugh Elliott (Date of Birth:22-Nov-1891 Date of Baptism:29-Nov-1891) Sponsor John & Teresa McCusker. It notes he married in St Peter's Church Belfast to Maggie McDonald 18/1/1932.
9. George Alexander Elliott (Date of Birth:01-Mar-1894 Date of Baptism:   04-Mar-1894) Sponsor Teresa McCusker. Notes he married in St Peters Belfast on the 25/10/1916. He married Brigid Brennan.
10. Teresa Elliott (Date of Birth:19-Apr-1897 Date of Baptism:20-Apr-1897) Sponsor - Teresa McCusker. Notes she married in St Peters Belfast on the 25/12/1925.

Cheers,
Holly