Author Topic: Holland to Ireland via Devon  (Read 8410 times)

Offline Scarlett michael

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holland to Ireland via Devon
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 July 14 08:21 BST (UK) »
I have sent an email to my Aunt for further info... but apparently this has been disproved by KGARRAD who posted after you???  i also got no link of my heritage through vanstoneweb??...(also i think the spelling has varied along the way from the Flemish weavers)

Offline marmbru

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 July 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
I am descended from a Vanston from Devon.  My g-g-g-grandfather was Christopher Vanston, from Tavistock, born in the early 1800s.  The family story is he was a shipwright.

He married a Mary Dougherty and emigrated to Newfoundland.  Do not have any death dates.  Their children (born in the 1840s) mostly emigrated to the United States including Samuel Vanston (c. 1843-1905) (d. Scranton, PA), James Vanston (c. 1848-1904) (d. Scranton, PA), Katherine Vanston Walsh (c. 1842-1915) (d. Wilmington, Delaware), and Thomas Vanston (c. 1846-1894) (d. Butte, Montana).

I have heard the Flemish/Holland/William of Orange stories too, but have seen no proof of them - my impression is that (some!) family history researchers were a more fanciful bunch before the internet, and everyone loves a good story.

I would love to connect to other Vanston lines if its possible.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 July 14 17:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

My Great-Grandmother was a Vanstone - hence my interest in the line!

As with my other replies I would recommend looking at the vanstoneweb.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Lorne Vanstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 October 21 18:14 BST (UK) »
Not sure how came before this , but I know my Great Grandfather was Christopher Vanstone from the Devon area(not sure of his birth year.) 
I know Christopher's first wife died leaving him with several children.
Then he married Mary Ann Martin and had 3 more kids. Samuel Vanstone b.1886(my Grandfather), Albert Vanstone b.1891 and Will Vanstone were their children.
Samuel and Albert migrated to Canada around 1916
Like his father, Samuel's first wife died after their son Albert was born in Brandon, MB.
Samuel remarried to Ellen Pugsley, originally also from Devon, but had emigrated with her parents to Brandon. They moved to Winnipeg an had Emily (married to A.Kemp), Muriel (married to L.Knight), Verna (married to R.Evans), Stanley (deceased at 6 months), Samuel (Marty) Vanstone, and Robert Vanstone (my dad) b.1938.   

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 October 21 10:08 BST (UK) »
Lorna Vanstone: According to the 1891 census, Christopher VANSTONE was born ca 1851 in Sampford Courtenay. Samuel was born 1886 but 2 daughters are also shown - Fanny born 1888 and Jane born 1889 - in both cases mother's maiden name MARTIN. In the 1881 census his first wife, Mary Jane was still alive. According to his marriage to Mary Jane VINNICOMBE in 1870, Christopher's father was a John VANSTONE, labourer. Christopher was actually baptised 24 Jan 1847 at Sampford Courtenay, son of John & Jane.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 30 October 21 10:23 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this helps at all, (and I have no further information,) however during the 1980's in Newton Abbot, Devon, I was friendly with a Bo (Beau) Vanstone.

The family had moved from Plymouth for work reasons.

If you can find them a speculative letter might possibly net some family connections/research?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 October 21 21:34 BST (UK) »
Reply 23 mowsehouse. Remember that RootsChat prohibits posting information about living people or those who may be alive on the Forum. Such information should be sent via private message. 
Cowban

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 31 October 21 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Reply 23 mowsehouse. Remember that RootsChat prohibits posting information about living people or those who may be alive on the Forum. Such information should be sent via private message.

Oooops!  Sorry. Have amended and sent a private message.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.