Author Topic: Davidsons of Auchterderran  (Read 6334 times)

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
Davidsons of Auchterderran
« on: Friday 07 September 12 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm looking for the gravestone of my great great grandparents - Isabella Westwater who died in Lochore on 24 2 1915 and Birrell Davidson born 26 5 1857 died Methil 26 2 1939. They are not in Ballingry cemetery and can't find them in Bowhill either so I think they might be in Lochgelly. Would appreciate your help as my mum would love to take some flowers to their grave. My Davidson ancestors date back to 1560 in Dunfermline so any Davidsons might well be connected to my family. I now live in France so it's not easy to get time to hike round cemeteries in Scotland.
Thanks for any help you can give.  Would really like to get in touch with Norrie.
Cordialement
Brenda
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Gadgey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Davidsons of Auchterderran
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 April 13 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda,

Not been on this site in a while, but was having a look on the Fife Forum and saw your thread (I'm originally from Cardenden) I've contacted Norrie who has all the headstone listings for Lochgelly, hopefully he'll be able to find something for you, I'll get back to you when he replies, or if you like, if you go to the "Scotland - general"  and then click the "Fife" link, check down the threads, you'll see one titled "Headstone Inscriptions Lochgelly Cemetery" you'll see my post and any replies that come back, or you can communicate with Norrie directly.

Cheers

Bryan

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 April 13 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Bryan
I did get in touch with Norrie who unfortunately wasn't able to find their headstone in any of the local cemeteries. It's strange as I'm sure they would have had a headstone but perhaps it's been too badly damaged to read or even destroyed. It's also been suggested that subsidence caused by mineworks might have caused graves and headstones to disappear - perhaps there's an underground catacombs like in Paris!
Anyway, thanks for trying to help - much appreciated.
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 September 14 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Peggysus,
     Thought you might be interested in this birth which was on the same page as another Davidson (no relation) birth I was checking. It's an unusual Christian name & I remembered reading your post re: Davidsons - Headstone Inscriptions Lochgelly Cemetery (NorrieG)
     Birrell Davidson born 26th Sept, 1882 at Bridgend, Cleish, Kinross. Son of Birrell Davidson (Coal Miner) & Isabella Davidson ms Sharp. Informant: Birrell Davidson (Father)
     Birrell & Isabella married 17th July, 1876 at Lochgelly.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 September 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Dod
Thank you so much for the info - this sounds like the one who was in the Black Watch during WW1 and was killed in the pit just a few months after he was demobbed. Can't understand the reference to Lochgelly though because as far as I know his headstone is Black Watch in Ballingry ..
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 September 14 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Peggysus,
     I think it was 'Gadgey' who had a post on the Lochgelly Cemetery thread with a reference to your Davidsons of Auchterderran thread. I'd been checking all Davidson threads when I saw the unusual name Birrell Davidson. Couldn't believe it when I found the same name a few days later while checking another Davidson birth. My Davidsons are mainly from Markinch, Fife. Another branch are from the Strathmiglo area of Fife & Kinross-shire. Been lots of fun sorting them out!
     Good luck with your search. Hope you find the graves you are looking for.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 September 14 18:28 BST (UK) »
My Grandad and Uncle were Birrells - and there are still a couple that I know of who are still alive but the name seems to be dying out which is a shame as it made it a lot easier to trace the family tree ! Robert was another name in every generation but it's more common
Bon weekend
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Dors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Found this by accident while researching my family tree.
Birrell Davidson and his wife Isabella are great great grandparents of mine also!
Their son Birrell, born I believe in 1882 married Grace Sparling on 4/6/1901 and their daughter (Euphemia) married William Jarvie and their son Birrell Davidson Jarvie was my father. He was born 31/1/1930 and died on 1/1/2000. I was born in 1953.

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 18:29 BST (UK) »
Look forward to hearing from you I've found lots of info and cousins - some direct descendants of Birrell and Grace, as well as Henry Davidson and Euphemia (Grace Emma's sister)  My great grandfather was your great grandfather's brother Are you the Australian side or are you still in Scotland ?
Warmly & Sincerely