Author Topic: HEADSTONES in Kirkcaldy Cemeteries(Part 2)  (Read 104565 times)

Offline ChicaJH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HEADSTONES in Kirkcaldy Cemeteries(Part 2)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 October 12 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Norrie!!

That's all great stuff, thanks!!  I have discovered that the "Ina" I was looking for is actually Alexandrina (Ina must have been a nickname).  I was told today that she and Elizabeth Watson Smart are both buried in the Kirkcaldy cemetery.   It's all so confusing!! 

Thanks again Norrie!!  So much appreciated!!

Chica

Offline galiano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 November 12 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Norrie : 

A few years ago you were really helpful in my Gordon family search.   I have just come across your story about the murder of Isabella Gordon - likely my second cousin 3x removed.  You did a great job in researching and recording this story and I have copied and added it to my record of Isabella Gordon.

I have changed from a PC to an IMac and updated my software a couple of times since I last was in contact with you so unfortunately I can't find you on any of my trees.   My 3rd great grandfather was James Harry Gordon 1787 to 1878 Buckhaven.    My grandfather was Robert Kinnear Gordon.    So I'm wondering how or if we are related ?

Offline galiano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 November 12 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Norrie : 

A few years ago you were really helpful in my Gordon family search.   I have just come across your story about the murder of Isabella Gordon - likely my second cousin 3x removed.  You did a great job in researching and recording this story and I have copied and added it to my record of Isabella Gordon.

I have changed from a PC to an IMac and updated my software a couple of times since I last was in contact with you so unfortunately I can't find you on any of my trees.   My 3rd great grandfather was James Harry Gordon 1787 to 1878 Buckhaven.    My grandfather was Robert Kinnear Gordon.    So I'm wondering how or if we are related ?

Sorry ... I should have told you my name is John Robert Walker.  my grandmother was Mary Walker nee Gordon.    I live on the West Coast of Canada.

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 17:19 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was Robert Kinnear Gordon.    So I'm wondering how or if we are related ?

James Harry Gordon 1787 & Margaret Kinnear 1792
Andrew Gordon 1819 & Elizabeth Pitillo 1832
George Gordon 1870 & Margaret Robertson Taylor 1874
Andrew Gordon 1898 & Janet Gillies
Norrie Gordon 1937

James Harry Gordon & Margaret  Kinnear
James Gordon 1828 & Helen Thomson1830
Brother of Andrew Gordon 1819
Andrew Gordon1860 & Christina Mahon 1860
Mary Gordon 1883 & Robert Kinnear Walker 1878
I know they had 2 sons James 1903 & Andrew 1909
and that they both died in Canada 2001 & 1992

I think this information was from Bob Walker ( could this be You?)
I do have  a File from July 2004 with Kinnear, Walker information
which I think I sent him.

PM your E mail to me to get or sent additional information
Norrie
Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish

Offline cltidwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 December 12 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norrie,

I was so happy to stumble upon this thread, hopefully you'll be able to help me.

I've hit a wall in tracing my family's Scottish roots. My fifth-great grandfather, Charles Ross, died in Pathhead 6 July 1862. His wife Christian (or Christina) Ross (Maiden Name: More), died sometime between then (6 July 1862) and 1869, assumedly somewhere within the Dysart region because that is where her children lived. However, I can't find any records about her after the death of her husband.

By any chance, have you stumbled upon the headstones of either Charles Ross (b. 1795 d. 1862), or Christian More Ross (b. 1800, d. 1862-1869) during your indexing?

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 December 12 00:40 GMT (UK) »
By any chance, have you stumbled upon the headstones of either Charles Ross (b. 1795 d. 1862), or Christian More Ross (b. 1800, d. 1862-1869) during your indexing?

Hi Chris soyyr nothing on my index, for the above.

Piece: SCT1851/426 Place: Dysart -Fife Enumeration District: 7
Civil Parish: Dysart Burgh Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Dysart Burgh
Folio: 0 Page: 27 Schedule: 140
Address: -
        Surname       First name(s)       Rel       Status       Sex       Age       Occupation       Where Born       Remarks   
          ROSS         Charles         Head         M         M         56         Flaxdresser          Midlothian - Edinburgh               
          ROSS         Christian         Wife         M         F         51         Flaxdressers Wife          Fife - Pathhead               
          ROSS         James         Son         U         M         21         Flaxdresser          Fife - Pathhead               
          ROSS         Thomas         Son         U         M         18         Flaxdresser          Fife - Pathhead         

Charles & Christian married 7.11.1824 Dysart
these children by them were buried in Pathhead Fuears Cemetery
Ross  Dysart Dunnikier 21.9.1825 Un baptised child of Charles Ross Flaxdresser
Charles ROSS Dysart Dunnikier 22.3.1830 age child of Charles Ross Flaxdresser
Charles ROSS Dysart Dunnikier 20.8.1839 child son of Charles Ross Flaxdresser
there is no headstone for Charles & Christian there, but changes have taken
place in the  cemetery over the years,or  they may not have been able to afford a Headstone.

from  http://fifefhs.org/Records/pathheadfeuars.htm

The Pathhead Feuars' Burial Ground at the end of the Commercial Street was originally granted to the Dunnikier (as Pathhead was then known) Feuars on 31st July 1684 by John Watson and his wife, Euphan Orrock, as a burying-place for the inhabitants of the town and lands of Dunnikier. The ground was enclosed in January 1707, and extended on 10th July 1740, when Mr James Oswald gifted adjoining land. A further extension came in 1828, when the Feuars purchased from John Robertson's heirs the adjoining garden, about 1/5th of which was added to the old ground, and divided up into 126 lots, each lot containing 3 grave-breadths. Thus, there was formed the present Pathhead, or Dunnikier, Churchyard, which measures approximately half an acre [Note: the Churchyard is not to be confused with another, also known as Kirkcaldy Pathhead, but otherwise known as Ravenscraig, or Nether Street, Burial Ground].

It has been calculated by the Pathhead Feuars' Trust that between 1684 and 1960 (estimating 25 deaths per year for the unrecorded years of 1684-1707) that there were over 11,000 interments in the burial ground. This number would seem to be correct, as Brodie has calculated some 7100 interments between 1707 and 1860.
Perhaps they may have been removed in 1862, when the burial ground was levelled and the headstones placed in an orderly manner.
I have photographed this Cemetery as my son happens to live next to it,
there are a number of Ross's buried their.

NorrieG

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Have you by chance come across a Robert and Margaret ORROCK or Gavin MITCHELL? Or if indeed any ORROCKs

Blake

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Have you by chance come across a Robert and Margaret ORROCK or Gavin MITCHELL? Or if indeed any ORROCKs

Hi Blake   these are the only Orrock stones In my index

Bennochy Cemetery Kirkcaldy
320   Erected by her Daughters for their Mother
   Barbara Wilson Orrock died 14.12.1912
   sister Margaret died 3.2.1913
   also Elizabeth Templemen Orrock died 18.12.1954 age 93
   ( Barbara Wilson was married to Simon ORROCK )

St Dronstans Cemetery Markinch

327   Frank S ORROCK husband of Margaret HARVEY
   died 22.5.1946 age 50
   Margaret Harvey died 20.8.1969? age 73

Nothing for Gavin Mitchell

Norrie

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Norrie
It was worth a try