Author Topic: Mitchell, Janet Anderson (Jessie)  (Read 4019 times)

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mitchell, Janet Anderson (Jessie)
« on: Wednesday 12 November 14 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a few photographs, roughly from 1918 - 1968 of Family originating from Fife and, from the family of Janet (Jessie) Anderson Mitchell 1892-1965. Jessie was probably daughter of William Gourlay Mitchell and Betsy Mitchell nee Morris married on 6th June1890 in Scoonie. She may also have been from Windy Gates, Cooper. Jessie was definitly in Edinburgh working as a Laundry Maid for a Transport Firm in 1918 or so where she met a convalescing Private J. E. Hughes. They married and moved to his home village in Wales in 1926.

Jessie seems to have had 3 brothers initials: A., W., and D.; and sisters who when married became Mrs J. Robertson, Mrs J. Mowatt, Mrs J. Thompson and  Mrs T. Gilmour (probably husband's initials). She also had an aunt and uncle Mr and Mrs N. Ewing.

I'm keen to broaden my and other's knowledge of the family, however I'd also really like to try and identify those in the photos which means making contact with potential descendants of the above. I have more information on other generations of the family but wish to keep to Rootchat rules and avoid posting details online. Whether family can identify themselves from the above description I'm not sure, but I would appreciate hearing of suggestions for a suitable real old fashioned paper newspaper in which I can post an advert or letter with more detail.
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell, Janet Anderson (Jessie)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
HI JGDavies

Some ideas on how to proceed at this stage.

Have you tried looking for the marriage of Janet Mitchell to J Hughes in Scotland? This would confirm the names of her parents and his in full. Scottish marriage certs include mother's names also.

There is a marriage between a Janet Anderson Mitchell and a John Edward Hughes in the Fife area in 1926....See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  Pay to view but costs are very reasonable. You are likely to make good use of the £7 it costs to get 30 units (6 units/£1.40 to view one image).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Fitting those details, and the names you mention for parents, is a birth in 1892 in Carnbee Fife for a Janet Anderson Mitchell to the parents you mention (the marriage entry would help you firm up). 

A likely census entry for 1901 is here (you may have this already?):

William Mitchell 32 b. Ploughman (horseman) b. Crail, fifeshire
Betsy Mitchell 30 b. Logie, fifeshire
Lizzie Mitchell 10
Janet Mitchell 9 b. Carnbee
William Mitchell 7
Andrew Mitchell 4
Maggie Mitchell 2
Robert Mitchell 7 Months
Andrew Morris 29 Brother In Law & Boarder b. Leuchars, fifeshire

Address: Rives, Kilconquhar, Fife

Monica

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 21:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage between a Janet Anderson Mitchell and a John Edward Hughes in the Fife area in 1926 ... This would confirm the names of her parents
John Edward Hughes was her husband, apologies for not giving his whole name initially.

I realised I hadn't obtained their marriage details when writing but having since checked on something one of her children wrote, and can add reliably add that Jessie's father, was 'William Gourlay Mitchell, a farm manager and her mother was Betty Morris Mitchell, Betty died at the age of 59 and William in 1933 at the age of 63'... Jessie was born in a small village called Largo Ward and attended school there ... Jessie went into Service in St Andrews and ...[later] moved to Edinburgh'. In 1926 John Edward Hughes found somewhere to live 'a small holding and they got married somewhere in Fife' before moving to Wales.

Though having obtained Jessie's birth certificate it says born 13th December 1991 in Inch, Carnbee and that her mother was indeed Betsy Mitches M. S. Morris.
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 21:50 GMT (UK) »
How lovely to have such personal comments and records rather that just going by the hard facts of events  :)

Certainly seems you are on the right lines for your research. The 1901 census seems to provide confirmation of much of that. The 1911 census is only available pay to view on Scotlands People (SP) unfortunately.

You should be able to confirm the deaths of Janet's parents on SP. For example, there is a death in 1933 as you mentioned in Fife for a William Gourlay Mitchell, likely Janet's father. A Scottish death cert will include the deceased parents and also spouse's name if married.

Monica

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I find I also have that page from scotlandspeople.gov that says Jessie's parents William Gourlay Mitchell (ploughman) and Betsy Mitchell M.S. Morris married 6th June 1890 in Scoonie and that from Jessie (Janet Anderson Mitchell) was born on 13th December 1891 in Inch, Carnbee.

I have the 1911 census for Largo in which the 45th entry is for Annfield cottage which gives practically the same family as kindly posted for 1901 (thanks Monica) with the additions of Mary, Grace, Jeanie and David whilst Jessie is not shown - she's probably working as already mentioned by then.
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Likely this will be Jessie's father's birth details from what you have https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY1V-8M6

Monica

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Likely this will be Jessie's father's birth details from what you have

Thanks Monica. William's age on that link matches with the 1891 census for the Parish of Carnbee, entry number 81 for Inch Farm Cottage: William Gourlay Mitchell age 22, Wife Betsy, 20 and 11 month old daughter Lizzie.

The preceding entry 80 on the same page, again for Inch Farm Cottage, is for a William Mitchell, 44; wife Jane? 45; daughter Maggie Jane; ? Anderson; and son Thomas ? - which based on, proximity and names, looks to me as if this is William Gourlay Mitchell's parents and siblings.
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Family Search show these children for a William Mitchell and Janet Anderson:

Robert Brown Mitchell 1867 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY1V-63X
William Gourlay Mitchell 1869 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY1V-63X
Alexander Mitchell 1872 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY1V-6ZY
John Brown Mitchell 1874 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY1V-ZQK

A member submitted tree here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MZJ1-4KZ for one of the children.

Monica