Author Topic: Burial of Colbourn Hodgskin, Innholder of the Red Lion Bushey  (Read 3706 times)

Offline roselamont

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial of Colbourn Hodgskin, Innholder of the Red Lion Bushey
« on: Friday 07 November 14 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Colbourn Hodgskin/Hodgkins of the Red Lion Bushey wrote his will in 1715 and it was proved in 1720.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D581350

Has anyone got access to the Bushey PRs that can check if he was buried there please?

Offline roselamont

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of Colbourn Hodgskin, Innholder of the Red Lion Bushey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 November 14 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Websites which show some Bushey Burials all seem to start from 1737 only. Do the pre-1737 Burial records even still exist?  ???

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 November 14 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Your man's Will is on Ancestry & contains quite a lot of interesting information regarding his family & also the fact that he wishes his body to be interred in the Church Yard at Beaconsfield Bucks next to his first wife. I think he must have originated in Beaconsfield as he also leaves five pounds to be distributed amongst the village after his death. :)

Hope this helps. :)

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roselamont

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 November 14 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maddie,

I know that he asked something like

"to be buried in Beaconsfield churchyard next to my first wife and with a gravestone large enough to cover both me my first wife and my current wife when she shall die"

but his first wife Constant/Constance was buried in Beaconsfield in 14 Jun 1688 and then his second wife, Ann Grove, was buried at Penn on 21 Jun 1737. Coleburn does not appear in the Bucks FHS Burials index so it appears that his wish that all 3 of them were to be buried together was not carried out.

Possible reasons are

1) that his family hated him!
 2) there was a bout of plague going around at the time of his death, so that he was buried with great haste
 3) that he appointed Bushey's vicar, the Rev Richard Smith and Francis Carter of Beaconsfield to be his executors and not members of his own family. This means that when he died his family would have made funeral arrangements possibly without knowing the contents of his will. By the time the executors came to sorting his estate and dug out his will there may have been a bit of a  "whoopsidaisy" moment ;)

Most of his children remained on the Bucks side of the border with the possible exception of his eldest daughter, Ann wife of John Lock, who inherited the Red Lion in Bushey in 1720. Unless his burial is missing from the Bucks Burials index I think it more likely he was buried by John & Ann Lock in Bushey near them?

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 November 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Oh dear, poor old soul, he didn't get his marble headstone then either. ;)

I have just been looking at Bushey in British History on Line & unfortunately it would appear that any burial records before 1737 have not survived.
"Registers begin in 1684, book 1 baptisms 1684-1812, burials 1735 -1812 & marriages 1684 -1753.

You could try contacting Bushey Museum, http://www.busheymuseum.org/

I found them to be extremely helpful in the past & there may be a mention of your chap somewhere. :-\

I wonder if there is a chance he could have been buried a little further up the road & finished up in Stanmore. I have quite a few baptisms that took place in Stanmore although the folks were born Bushey albeit early 1800's. ::)

Hope you find him. :D

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline roselamont

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 November 14 12:48 GMT (UK) »
The Red Lion appears to be in the middle of Bushey High St about 100m from St James church. If that was where the executor the Rev Richard Smith was preaching it would look like the obvious place to have buried Colburn??

If not, does Herts have a burials index for the early 1700s?

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 November 14 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree, St James would have been the most obvious for his burial. ???

Unfortunately Herts burial index is from 1800 to about 1851 & Bushey burials on FindMyPast do look as if they are from 1737. (FindMyPast is FREE this weekend).

The only other place is HALS but if the records no longer exist it's not looking good for finding him. :-\

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline roselamont

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 November 14 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I will try the Museum but the Bushey churchwarden's accounts might also be worth a go? Colburn was very civic minded when he was in Bucks; he was at times a Petty Constable of Beaconsfield, Chief Constable of the Burnham hundred & Quarter Session Juror.

What's the betting he was a Churchwarden/Overseer/Sideman in Bushey and possibly a constable/juror? Are the Herts Quarter Sessions online?

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 November 14 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't believe the Herts quarter session are on line as such. Some do appear on Ancestry in their criminal registers but not back as far as you are looking. The National Archives have records that might be relevant. Herts FHS also hold some records but again I don't think they are the correct time period.

HALS (Herts Archives & Local Studies) might be your best bet if Bushey Museum aren't able to help.
http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/leisculture/heritage1/hals/indexes/

If by chance he was a prominent figure in Bushey then he may well figure in a record somewhere. :)

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire