Author Topic: Tollcross and St Quivox Ayr  (Read 818 times)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tollcross and St Quivox Ayr
« on: Wednesday 10 September 14 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any information on the William Wood House in Tollcross circa 1908 and St Quivox,Ayrshire wherethere was I believe a poorhouse circa 1872. I'd like info on either place ie is it still in existance,what kind of a place exactly each was,would there be any records about on either place etc. I had relations in both places and am curious about both.Thanks

Offline WeeCee64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tollcross and St Quivox Ayr
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure if you will already have done this or not but for William Wood House in Tollcross area you could try contacting the Glasgow City Archives at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.  The e-mail address is archives@glasgowlife.org.uk. Growing up in Tollcross I cannot think of this building.  The only large building I know of is in Tollcross Park which has had various uses including a museum when I was a little girl and is now a nursing home.  Sorry not to be of much use.  Hope you find out something at the archives.
Information relating to marriage/parents of etc William Prentice b.January 1837 Dalserf, Lanarkshire.
Manson, Glasgow
Hamilton surname Downpatrick, County Down
Caldwell, Glasgow and Northern Ireland

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
St. Quivox was one of the authorities which formed and ran the Kyle Combination which was in Holmston Road in Ayr more information on it can be seen at the website www.http://workhouses.org.uk/Kyle/.

The Ayr Archives may have more specific information regarding any application for Relief.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
WeeCee and Falkryn, thank you for your responses to my queries. One of my relations died in what I believe to have been a poorhouse/workhouse in Ayr and I have 2 that died in the same year in the William Wood house in Tollcross. I will take your advice and contact those places when I go over to Glasgow. They may be able to enlighten me further. Thanks again, Kim

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
They may not have been inmates of the poorhouse/workhouse itself. Often the only hospital treatment available for families who couldn't afford private treatment was to be admitted to the medical facilities attached to the poorhouse.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 08:54 BST (UK) »
Falkryn, again thank you. I think while I'm over in Glasgow I will check the Ayr Archives records to see if I might Glean some more info on her. Thank you, Kim