Author Topic: Horse drawn Coach Travel in Invernesshire (and Argyl)  (Read 9639 times)

Offline macw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Horse drawn Coach Travel in Invernesshire (and Argyl)
« on: Thursday 17 December 09 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in finding out more about the Mail and Stage coaches that ran between Fort William and Arisaig, Fort William and Kingussie and Fort William and Glasgow (via Loch Lomond Steamer).
I am also interested in the affect the Highland and the West Highland Railways had on Coach travel.
I have been in touch with the Museum in Newtownmore (it was in Kingussie) and had a look through the West Highland Museum in Carnoch. I need to get some time to visit the museums in Fort William and to get down to Mount Pleasant in London to see if I can find any Post Office records.
I am especially interested in contacting descendants of Coach Drivers and Owners and Post Runners. My GG Grandfather was a Coach Driver from Fort William to Glasgow and then started his own business from Fort William to Arisaig and Fort William to Kingussie as far as we can see. He was known variously as Hugh MacDonald, Hugh McDonald, Ewen Post, Ewen MacRaiold,  Eoghan MacRaiold and apparently "Duke" and lived from about 1822 or 1830 until December 1906, Being buried on Isla Munde in Glencoe (from whence he came) on a wild day on the 2nd January 1907. He built Buccleuch Villa which has a coach house (now converted) at the back. He used to operate out of Frasier Square and from the Pier.

Offline cherry06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Horse drawn Coach Travel in Invernesshire (and Argyl)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Macw I was very interested in your post.     I also had an ancestor who was a coach driver in invernesshire.      His name was Neil Macdonald, he came to Australia with his Brother John and Family in 1838     I am sorry I can not be of much help to you as I cannot find information on my own relatives but I wish you the best of luck
regards  Cherry06 :) :D

Offline macw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
Cherry06,

If you have any further information the period when he worked (i.e. was he young when he went to Australia) I can keep an eye out for him. I presume you only know he was from Invernesshire. There were two main coach runs one up the Caledonian Canal from Fort William to Inverness and the other fom Edinburgh up the East side to Inverness. I still need to look further into the routes at the early part of the 19th century.

As you are aware finding a MacDonald in Scotland can be a little tricky.

Best luck with your research,

macw

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
What you want folks, is a book called "Stagecoach to John o Groats" by Leslie Gardiner, Hollis & Carter 1961.....Skoosh.

Offline macw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh. It is a very good book, a good read as well as containing facts about coach travel in the era. I've been thinking about contacting his descendants to see if any of his notes he had from writing the book survive. I also have several brief contemporary accounts of coach travel in the area.

If anyone knows of any other good books I'd be very interested. I have a small library already but there is always room for additions.

macw

Offline cherry06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 06:46 BST (UK) »
hi, sorry I did not get back to you before this.      Thanks for your replies.

Yes Macw he was young the ship record had him as 30years old and I believe they rounded up their ages so he could have been even younger.

regards
cherry06

Offline Ruaridh Ormiston

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am firstly a Highlander then an Oilfield Engineer, then Farmer and Horseman !! Outdoors Type Living Life to the Full (and sometimes like a Fool !)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 April 14 10:03 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching the old stage coach route west from Kingussie to Loch Laggan, Tulloch Station, Spean Bridge and Fort William as we hope to do a 100 year anniversary run in 2015 with a real stage coach called the Royal Highlander. (The last one to run on this route was the Caberfeidh I believe) 2015 being the last year. James Gillies the last coachman was a local legend and the mail coach pistol is in the Clan Macpherson Museum in Newtonmore. I am happy to share any info once I have it. Macdonald's Coach has certainly been mentioned. I also drive horses and live in Kingussie and have my Riding Stables in Newtonmore. Our family have been in the area for 150 years and all that time involved in horses mainly Highland Ponies.
I would be interested to hear more from anybody else who has more information.

Offline Ruaridh Ormiston

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am firstly a Highlander then an Oilfield Engineer, then Farmer and Horseman !! Outdoors Type Living Life to the Full (and sometimes like a Fool !)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 April 14 10:36 BST (UK) »

The old Mail Coach leaving the old post office in the High St Kingussie c. early 1900's

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 April 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
I am especially interested in contacting descendants of Coach Drivers and Owners and Post Runners.

I will check my records when I get back to the house.  My family includes two innkeepers (coaching inns), a stable owner, a saddler, and the owner of a coach hire and undertaker business.
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie