Author Topic: Hayes and Darling Families of Cavan and Fermanagh (and Leitrim)  (Read 2792 times)

Offline prufrockster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hayes and Darling Families of Cavan and Fermanagh (and Leitrim)
« on: Sunday 22 December 13 05:52 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has information on the surnames Hayes and Darling from the Breandrum, Carn, Kildallan areas of Cavan. These locations are south of the road between Ballyconnell and Belturbet. My Hayes family - names Jeremiah and Francis - farmed this land in the late 1700's to mid-1800's. They married into the Darling family, who I believe originally came from Fermanagh - in the area of Kinawley and Lisnaskea.

According to Griffiths and the 1901 Census, there were a few Darling and Hayes families in Cavan and I am wondering if they may all be related, even though some were Catholic, and others, including mine, were Church of Ireland. Dare I say, I believe that some may have changed to being Church of Ireland as it may have been advantageous to do so at the time.

These families may also be present in County Leitrim, as the county border is not far away.

Thanks,

Drew Hayes - Melbourne, Australia.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hayes and Darling Families of Cavan and Fermanagh (and Leitrim)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 December 13 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I can find a Robert Darling and his wife Margaret Reid. They had their children baptised in Kinawley Church of Ireland, Anne and William in 1796, John in 1800 and Robert in 1802.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline prufrockster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hayes and Darling Families of Cavan and Fermanagh (and Leitrim)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 December 13 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks kingskerswell. My 2 x Great Grandmother was Esther Darling, born in Kinawley in 1807. I don't know who her parents were. Could well  be related to your Robert Darling.