Author Topic: Buccleuch Park?  (Read 2067 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Buccleuch Park?
« on: Tuesday 25 February 14 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone assist me in pinpointing this on a map? G00gle doesn't seem to recognise it!

I'm planning a trip up to the Scottish Borders next month and have discovered one of my forebears (David J Beattie, sculptor & stonemason) bequeathed a monument there - would just like to go and take a look for myself - if I could only find the way....!

Any ideas?

Regards,
Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Buccleuch Park?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Mmmmmmmmmmm

Google Maps is now telling me it's Hawick  :-\

The Buccleuchs owned a lot of the Borders.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 13:25 GMT (UK) »
If this is him, he was from Langholm:

http://clydesburn.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/david-johnstone-beattie-1881-1964.html

Beattie died in July 1964 and his funeral service was held in Hebron Hall in Botchergate, Carlisle. The stonemasonry business still operates from the same building, now under different management, but is still called Beattie & Co, shown below.

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, all! :-)

Planning to revisit some family sites in the Scottish Borders - this time armed with a proper camera to get decent pictures of monuments & memorials!

Thanks for the links - some I've seen before but there were one or two nuggets of new and interesting information :-)

Thanks,
Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England