Author Topic: Sutton and Great Glenham PRS  (Read 4678 times)

Offline sak

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sutton and Great Glenham PRS
« on: Thursday 21 August 14 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am interested in a Mary Burwell born around 1711 in Sutton, Suffolk, daughter of Charles Burwell of Sutton and Mary Cotton of Marlesford. Mary Burwell was their only surviving child and inherited all the family land and property including Fenn Hall and Petistree Hall in Sutton. She died in 1770.

My ancestor is a Burwell Edwards who also owned all this property and I have always thought that he must be connected to the Burwell family in some way given his christian name. I believe his parents were Edward Edwards and Mary Kerridge who married in Sutton around 1762. Mary Kerridge was born in Sutton around 1731 and her parents were George Kerridge and Mary. I am wondering if this Mary is in fact Mary Burwell.
I think George Kerridge may have died in 1739 as there is a burial for one in 1739 in Sutton and perhaps Mary went on to marry a William Edgar of Great Glenham. I know she died in 1770 as Mary Edgar.
Is there anybody out there who has access to the records for Sutton and Great Glenham or the marriage records to help me see if any of this can be proved or dismissed?

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Sue.

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sutton and Great Glenham PRS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 August 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi I've trawled through the Sutton registers for the Burwells.  I see you have quite a lot of information already so I don't know if I've managed to find anything new or not.

Taken from Sutton parish register.

None of the baptisms of children of George and Mary Kerridge mention her maiden name, however George and Mary do have a child who they name Burwell.  Unfortunately I couldn't see his baptism , just a burial:
Burwell son of (blank) & Mary Kerridge buried (April?) 1734
Mary d/o George Kerridge and Mary his wife baptised (couldn't read date) 1734
Mary d/o George Kerridge and Mary his wife baptised 14th Aug 1735
Rose d/o George Kerridge and Mary his wife baptised 3rd Sept 1738 buried 23rd October 1738

George Kerridge buried 12th July 1739

I couldn't see George and Mary's marriage at Sutton, nor Mary's marriage to William Edgar at Sutton or Great Glemham.  Hoepfully somebody with access to the Suffolk Marriage Index might be able to help.

Taken from Great Glemham parish register.

William Burwell s/o William and Mary Edgar baptised 12th march 1741
Jane d/o William and Mary Edgar baptised July 1743
Jane d/o William and Mary Edgar baptised 17th Aug 1744
Mary d/o William and Mary Edgar baptised 4th Sept 1745

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 August 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
Some other Burwell entries from the Sutton parish register.

Rose d/o Charles and Mary Burwell -1st February 1722 (Really sorry but couldn't decipher if this was a baptism or burial but I think burial  :()
Rose d/o Charles Burwell and Mary his wife baptised 13th May 1714
Also:
Frances baptised 1st Sept 1715 buried 30th January 1715
Charles baptised 24th March 1711 buried 21st June 1713
Mary baptised 5th April 1711

Charles Burwell Gent buried July 6th 1709
Rose wife of Charles Burwell Gent buried 11th October 1706

Anne d/o William ane Elizabeth Burwell baptised 23rd October 1659
Joseph s/o William Burwell and Elizabeth his wife buried 12th January 1657
Margaret d/o the above baptised 15th May 1656

William Burwell buried Oct 1627
Ann Burwell buried July 1628

Symon Burwell s/o Symon Burwell and Margaret his wife baptised 17th November 1636
Susan Burwell buried July 1634
Margaret Burwell d/o Symon Burwell baptised 8th November 1631
Symon s/o Symon Burwell baptised December 1629
An d/o Symon Burwell baptised October 1626

Offline sak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks so much for looking all that up for me. I really do appreciate it. They are all of the same family according to the information I have.

I have the baptisms of Burwell, Mary and Rose Kerridge, Mary being my direct ancestor. She married Edward Edwards at Sutton, Suffolk on the 8th June 1763. Their two children were Mary Edwards Bap 7/9/1764 and Burwell Edwards Bap 17/12/1766 both at Sutton.

It's still possible I think that if George Kerridge died in 1739, Mary remarried to William Edgar. There is a marriage for a William Edgar in Suffolk in 1739 on Boyds but unfortunately I don't have access to that. William and Mary Edgars children were all born after 1739.

Two things that make me wonder though is why would my Burwell Edwards inherit all the land and property, presumably through his mother Mary Bap 1735, when there is a son William Burwell Edgar, unless he died of course, and why would they name another child Mary (Edgar) in 1745 when there was already a Mary (Kerridge) in 1735.

This has been my brick wall for about 30 years! I would love to break it. Thank you for helping me.

Sue.

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 September 14 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again Sue,

I had another look at the Great Glemham register (burials).

William Burwell Edgar infant buried November 17th 1742
Jane d/o William Edgar Esq buried May 20th 1744
Mary d/o William Edgar Esq buried February 20th 1745/6

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 September 14 12:53 BST (UK) »
I also looked at Boyds marriage index on FindMyPast at the records office and found that the William Edgar marriage was in fact at Boyton, Suffolk in 1739:

Then taken from Boyton parish register:

William Edgar of North Glemham singleman and Mary Kerridge of Sutton widow were married March 11th 1739

Offline sak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 September 14 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to look all this up. I'm sure these are my people. It would explain how all Mary's property ended up with my ancestor, Burwell Edwards, as he would have been her grandson. Everything seems to fit except that the George Kerridge who died in 1739 was buried after the marriage of Mary Kerridge widow, to William Edgar! Unless the dates are wrong or this George Kerridge wasn't in fact the husband who died.

Thanks for all your help though.

Sue.

Online ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 September 14 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Have you considered that the years up to 1753 (Julian calendar) ended at the end of March each year and were often  quoted as 1739/40 (old style).

When the new calendar came into  effect from 1753 the year then started on 1st January and ended 31 st Dec. as we know it today as the Gregorian calendar.

In your case it may be that George Kerridge was buried in 1738/9 (old style) and his widow re-married in 1739/40.

I may be wrong but its worth considering.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
Being pedantic ;D, I believe that prior to 1753 New Years day was on the 25th of March.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk