Author Topic: Mint Street Workhouse Admission circa 1890  (Read 1389 times)

Offline EoghanMc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mint Street Workhouse Admission circa 1890
« on: Wednesday 17 September 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I looking for a Date of Birth for a Ellen Amelia May Anderson who gave birth to a James Anderson in the Mint Street Workhouse, (St Georges), Southwark Jan 28 1890. I am hoping there is an admission register which will give me some indication of her Birth date.

Eoghan

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mint Street Workhouse Admission circa 1890
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

The admission register (London Metropolitan Archives, SOBG/106/25) gives Ellen Anderson's year of birth as 1869. She was admitted in labour on 27 January 1890, described as an Unfortunate, religion C of E, and chargeable to the parish of St George Southwark.

ADDED - Mother and child were discharged together on 18 February, at own request, no destination stated. Ellen's age on discharge is given as 21.

Offline EoghanMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 17:20 BST (UK) »
Your speedy response much appreciated. Still can't find her. Was Ellen recorded as married / single. Was there anyone else with her. Would there be any other information on her discharge.

Eoghan

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
The only additional information in the admission record is that Ellen was admitted before supper on Monday 27 January, by order of the Master, and was categorised as Class 5 for diet. Her name is given only as Ellen Anderson (no middle names).

19 other people were admitted on the same day, but there is no indication that she was connected to any of them.

The only additional information in the discharge record is that James was then 3 weeks old, and they left after breakfast on Tuesday 18 February.

Do you have James’ birth certificate? If no father is named, you can probably assume she was unmarried, especially as the admission register calls her an Unfortunate.

I’m sure others will help you look for her in other records, but I'm afraid I have to go out now.