Author Topic: Re: From Sutherland to Fife  (Read 3611 times)

Offline diddyaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: From Sutherland to Fife
« on: Friday 09 November 12 03:05 GMT (UK) »
I too have family connections in Sutherland and Fife.  My great, great grandmother was Christian/Christina McLeod (1821-1877) and born in Dornoch.  She and James Fyfe (1810-1872; born in Kinghorn, Fife) married at Loth on 18 Feb 1848.  My question is: why would a soldier in the 93rd Regiment of Foot be in Helmsdale? Their marriage registration states the following: On the 18th of February 1848 were married James Fyfe Corporal 93rd Regiment of Foot, Helmsdale and Christian McLeod, Dornoch. 
 Is there a way to see if the Regiment was stationed in Helmsdale?  I have family in the area, but don't think any documents are kept locally any more.  Any ideas?
Scotland: Fyfe, Stephenson/Stevenson, Beveridge, McLeod, Fisher, McNaughton, Ramsay
England: Stevenson, Dale, Riley/Ryley
Wales: Ellis
Ireland: Fitzgibbon, Sweeney, McNamara, Hanley

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: From Sutherland to Fife
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 November 12 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diddyaddy ,

I've split your post off to see if we can get more replies.
Find My Past website(paysite) has army records for a James FIFE born 1810 Kinghorn , Fife , perhaps you have seen this already

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records