Author Topic: Blackpool -Rochdale - Gracie Fields - Haley´s Juveniles  (Read 14324 times)

Offline Dalmatian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blackpool -Rochdale - Gracie Fields - Haley´s Juveniles
« on: Thursday 14 January 10 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my grandmother´s music hall career 1909 - 1916.She was a Manchester girl and performed with a song and dance troupe called Hayley´s ( or Halley´s ) Juveniles- photo of grandma attatched.During my research I found a couple of references to Gracie Fields early career , firstly that she started with the same troupe and secondly that she started with a Blackpool troupe.

Has anyone ever heard of Haley´s Juveniles , were they based in Blackpool and did Gracie ever work with them?

Any information would be gratefully recieved
Wrights , Pickwells, Booths ,Lincolnshire
Mantles , Nottinghamshire
O'Reillys Ireland , Manchester , Skegness

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blackpool -Rochdale - Gracie Fields - Haley´s Juveniles
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 January 10 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry can't help with your request  :(

But your photo, if you put it into the restoration forum they will do a magnificent job at repairing and cleaning it, they will even colour it if you want.

I would have a go but none of my digital/paint software works now I have upgraded to windows7 :'( 
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 January 10 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I googled Haley's Juveniles and there are two postcards of the troupe on eBay at the moment.

One of them is signed by Mrs Haley and dated 1917. Your grandmother could be on it maybe?  Don't know what Gracie Fields looked like as a girl though, so cannot tell if she is one of them!

:) Barbara

edit: sorry make that three postcards - another dated 1908, produced by a theatrical printer in Leeds
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dalmatian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 January 10 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help so far ,the postcards were great especially the one signed by Mrs H Hayley, although Grandma wasn´t on either of them.I have been e mailing Rochdale library and they tell me that Gracie worked for ¨Hayley´s Garden of Girls ¨run by a Mrs Haley.

I´m sure that there must be a connection between the Garden of Girls and the Juveniles - does this ring a bell with anyone?

Offline lostincloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 July 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
My Great Grandmother was Priscilla Haley who was the Madame Haley of Haley's Juveniles. Her travelling troup of 50 child entertainers appeared at the opening of the London Palladium in 1910 and toured the UK and Europe not having a week off in 17 years! Gracie Fields got her very first experience with the Juveniles after approaching Priscilla at a theatre in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne in 1911 and she never forgot her "old boss". Gracie joined the troupe 7 weeks later but eventually left to join Cherburn's Young Stars. She returned to Birmingham (which was Priscilla's home following retirement) to see Priscilla in 1952 (covered in the press) which turned out to be timely as Madame Haley died a week later (again covered in the Entertainment Press). Priscilla worked in show business for 30 years.
I'm afraid I cant give any specifics on members of the troupe as photos that i have are still a mystery! I also have a postcard that is quite faded.
If I can help further please drop me a line. I'd love to find out more about my great gran.

All the best,
Matt

Offline Dalmatian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 July 10 15:06 BST (UK) »
thanks for that Matt , I have very little info on the troupe other than knowing that my grandma was part of it.I am collecting press reviews for some of the shows that they featured in so once they are all together I will forward them to you.

Sue

Offline lostincloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 July 10 07:44 BST (UK) »
That would be fantastic Sue thankyou. If you find anything about Priscilla during your search I'd be forever grateful!!  ;)

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Dalmatian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Have attatched the pictures that I have found of the troupe.The one thing that puzzled me was that one of the photos was signed  ¨Mrs H Haley ¨ but your grandma¨s  name was Priscilla.Did another member of the family take over the running of the troupe from Priscilla?

Offline lostincloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
Great to see pics thankyou. I couldn't figure the Mrs H Haley out myself. Then about 5 mins ago I had an idea!!!!!!!! Priscilla was originally Hardaker but married Herbert Haley........Mrs Herbert Haley?.... possible?.......didn't the good wife assume the formality of her husband's name?

Matt