Author Topic: Royal Navy seaman, HMS Buffalo  (Read 3276 times)

Offline AngelaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Royal Navy seaman, HMS Buffalo
« on: Sunday 22 August 04 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

One of my ancestors seems to have been a seaman on H.M.S. Buffalo which brought the first colonists to South Australia in 1836 (they landed about 5 miles along the coast from where I now live!). Is there anywhere online where I can check details of a naval career, preferably with ages so that I can confirm whether or not this person is my ancestor?

Thanks for your help.

Adams, Bamber, Cleverley, Earwaker, Frake, Holt, Lacy, Laming, Levett, Lipscomb(e), Newlyn, Pett, Smith (Hampshire); Hill (Alverstoke and Middlesex); Holt (Dorset); Lacy (London, Kent)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy seaman, HMS Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 October 08 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I realise this request is quite old and you might have found the info about HMS Buffalo :)

If not, I found these websites which may be of interest,

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1836Buffalo.htm

http://news.webshots.com/album/560506152tbtQqf

What was the name of the seaman you are looking for?

Regards
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline AngelaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy

I've had to leave my family tree for a few years and am just now getting back into it. The seaman's name was John Bamber. He married Eliza Levett in Portsea in April 1836 and set off on the Buffalo in July of that year. He died in Portsea in 1885.

Many (very belated!) thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Angela
Adams, Bamber, Cleverley, Earwaker, Frake, Holt, Lacy, Laming, Levett, Lipscomb(e), Newlyn, Pett, Smith (Hampshire); Hill (Alverstoke and Middlesex); Holt (Dorset); Lacy (London, Kent)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 02:25 BST (UK) »
I see in the 1851 census he is a Greenwich Pensioner,,,,this could be his application for a pension

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8982003

but,as you can see,,,no verifying info on the summary,,,, the record can be viewed for free at the NA,,,or you could pay to have it sent I think,,,but may not be cheap ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 02:36 BST (UK) »
there is a result on Ancestry in the adm 29 records for  Jno Bamber  {their spelling}   which may be the same record as above ?    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=NavOffRatServRec&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=ms_db&gsfn=john&gsln=bamber&dbOnly=_F0007E36%7C_F0007E36_x&dbOnly=_F0007E35%7C_F0007E35_x&uidh=000
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Welcome back :)

I notice that John's DOB varies in the censuses from 1808 to 1811 so I wonder if this is him in 1831,

John BAMBER aged 21, b Portsmouth.  An Able Seaman aboard the Madagascar in the Mediterranean.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 15:38 BST (UK) »
and his Merchant seaman's ticket - not sure how it will help though :-\

Just found the image, I hope my transcription is correct.

No. of  468574  Register Ticket
John BAMBER
Born at Portsea in the county of Hants*
25 day of Dec 1809
Capacity    Seaman
Height    5f 7 1/2
Complexion    Ruddy
Hair    Brown
Eyes    Blue
Marks    Marked on arms in ink
First went to sea    Boy    in the year 1823
Served in the Royal Navy    26 yrs
Has been in foreign service    No
When Unemployed resides at    Portsmouth
Age when ticketed    41
Can write    No
Issued at Portsmo 26 day of Jan?y 1850

Lots of interesting info :)

The 26 years in the Navy would fit with the 1849 possible application for a pension found by gortonboy. He could have then applied to get his Merchant Seaman Card.

Daisy