Author Topic: Alexander & Bridget( nee Devir) STRAIN disappear circa 1902-help needed, please  (Read 17225 times)

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello RCs!
I need some fresh eyes to help with this puzzle, please
Bridget Devir/Diver (various spellings) was born/baptised 5th October 1878 in Magherablad, Donegal. Her birth was registered in Dunfanaghy. Her parents and grandparents on both sides were from Magherablad, Magheraroarty and Castle Doe.
Bridget’s parents were John Devir and Bridget O’Donnell. They emigrated to Australia within a short time after her birth, intending to send for her later. This didn’t eventuate as, within 8 years, Bridget snr and 4 of her 5 Australian born infants had died. A remaining son, John Patrick-my maternal grandfather-was raised by various extended Devir family members who had also migrated at various times. John snr seems to have vanished without trace by 1890.
On 27.2.1900 Bridget jnr married Alexander Strain jnr, (b 2.8.1878, also reg. in Dunfanaghy). His parents were Alexander Strain and Julia/Gilly/Cecilia Brogan who lived at or near Creeslough.
 At the time of Bridget & “Alick”’s marriage, her address was recorded as Magherablad,  his as Drumtully, though I’m not sure if this was a mis-transcription or if it refers to Drumtullagh in Antrim.
Their daughter Julia was born in Massiness on 7th April 1901 (reg. Dunfanaghy) & baptised 3rd Jun 1901. The family appear on the 1902 census at no. 7, Masiness. Alex is a general labourer.
Young Julia died in 1902. On the civil death record the address is given as Killyfad, but the district is Dunfanaghy &  county is Donegal. Bridget is the informant.
Thereafter I can’t find a trace of Bridget or Alexander in any 1911 census, Irish or UK. Nor can I find a death or obvious immigration record for either of them. What am I missing?
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander & Bridget( nee Devir) STRAIN disappear circa 1902-help needed, please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 September 13 08:59 BST (UK) »
I see from the 1901 census that Alexander Strain was born in Donegal. I’d say that his townland is therefore likely to be in the same area as Bridget’s rather than in Co Antrim. (If he did live in a different parish, then that is often specified on the certificate. If it just says the townland name then usually it’s local).

Can’t see a Killyfad in the townland lists for Donegal. Could it be Derryfad, which is in the same parish as Masiness?
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander & Bridget( nee Devir) STRAIN disappear circa 1902-help needed, please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 September 13 09:11 BST (UK) »
For reference here's the 1901 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Creeslough/Masiness/1172959

Here's Alexander's parents in 1911- wonder who the grand-daughter belongs to?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Doe_Castle/Killoughcarran/483673
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 September 13 10:22 BST (UK) »
This is a very,very long shot but, there is a potential death for Bridget 1911 in Glasgow.

Bridget Strain
Born: 1878
Other Name: Diver
Death Registered: Cathcart 1911
* Could not find a match with mother's maiden name of O'Donnell.

To cross check, I did search and could not identify a potential Scottish marriage for this woman.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 September 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
This is a very,very long shot but, there is a potential death for Bridget 1911 in Glasgow.

Bridget Strain
Born: 1878
Other Name: Diver
Death Registered: Cathcart 1911
* Could not find a match with mother's maiden name of O'Donnell.

To cross check, I did search and could not identify a potential Scottish marriage for this woman.

It would certainly be worth checking 1911 Scottish census for the family in general and this Bridget in particular (pay per view on Scotland's People site).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 September 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
Checking the 1911 census in Scotland.
There are 2 men called Ale* Strain of the correct age.

One lives in Kilwinning, Ayrshire and the other in Hutchesontown, Glasgow.
Referring back to the 1901 return, there were only 2 men with this name, one in Kilwinning and the other in Kinning Park.
I would guess that these are the same men at 1911,and neither are the Alexander Strain in the OP.

Edit:
I am planning to visit the Records Office at the Mitchell Library this coming Wednesday, I will look at the  1911 death cert for Bridget Strain for you

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 September 13 11:27 BST (UK) »
Anne & Aghadowey, thank you both so much for the great work! I did as you suggested & checked the 1911 death entry on Scotlandspeople...this appears to be her!
Father John Diver, Mother "deceased", husband Alexander "a plasterer's labourer" and her age all match up. She died on 12th Oct. of a ruptured tubal pregnancy, anaemia & pneumonia. Poor Alexander was the informant.
Neither of them appear on the 1911 census. I don't know what month it was taken, though.
I wonder what happened to Alexander?

The other odd thing is that Bridget's father, John's, occupation is given on the DC as "police constable." Was there any truth in that, or was that something he'd embellished to impress his faraway daughter? One mystery leads to another...
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 September 13 12:10 BST (UK) »
The date of the 1911 census was 2nd April.

Alexander & Bridget are in the 1911 census at 89 Camden St, Govan, Glasgow. He was a bricklayers labourer. They had had 5 children,  3 of whom were still alive.
Elwyn

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 September 13 12:49 BST (UK) »
On the death cert, Bridget & Alexander's address is given as 147 Naburn St, Glasgow, so they evidently moved after the census date. I didn't manage to find an Alexander Strain, Elwyn, thank you indeed.. I'm impressed!  ;D
I'll have another look, as I'm very curious about the children.
Nope, blessed if I can find them at Camden St in 1911....not using the SP site!!! How DID you find them, Elwyn???