Author Topic: Bere Island Cousins  (Read 20846 times)

Offline lowneymoriarty

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bere Island Cousins
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 January 09 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I am new to this so please be patient.
     My grandmother was Frances Moriarty from Bere Island. She immigrated to Boston Mass USA around 1905. She subsequently married Dennis Lowney also from Bere Island. To my knowledge she had at least 2 sisters who also immigrated to Boston. She had an older sister Kit whose married name was Rumley. The other sisters married name was Saunders. There were cousins from Lowell MA named Hardiman who were from the same part of Ireland.
Frances and Kit each had large families. Kit's tribe is mostly female so you may not find many Rumleys in your search. There are plenty of Lowneys in the area.
I hope that this has been helpful.

Offline Sheils

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 January 09 14:41 GMT (UK) »
My name is Sheila and I'm new to the list.

I am tracing my Bere Island family, does any one have O'Sullivan (Ukirre)  Harrington (Causkey)   Harrington (Caupey) or O'Leary (Reen)  in their trees.

I do have some information, but I know there must be some relitives on Bere Island

Hope someone may be able to help.

Thank you

Sheila

Offline Barbara Lynch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 April 09 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hello

My Grandmother always told me that we were the Sullivan Bere's and the last people to be defeated by
the English and that her family came from Bere Island.  I have only recently discovered how extraordinary our family was having googled Bere Island as my 9 year old son is doing a project on Islands of the
world.  As I live in Herfordshire in England and have never been to Cork and my mother grew up in Kerry even though my Grandfather was Patrick Doody who was also from Cork.

My son and I would now love to visit Cork and Bere Island.  How amazing is Google that we have learnt so much about our family.

If I am related to anyone I would love to hear from you.  My Grandmother's name was Elizabeth Clifford but her mother (Sullivan Bere family) was called Caatherine Sullivan Gowan.

My name is Barbara Lynch.

Happiness to everyone in Ireland.

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 April 09 23:26 BST (UK) »
From Boston Pilot Newspaper

4 October 1851 DANIEL SULLIVAN, native of Bere Island, county Cork, who arrived in Cork from the East Indies about the beginning of 1833, emigrated for America the following April, - not heard from since. Any information respecting him will be thankfully received by his brother, JEREMIAH G. SULLIVAN, New Bedford, Ms. Volume II: 1851 - 1853

18 August 1855 MICHAEL HARINGTON, of Bere Island, Castletown Berehaven, co Cork, who came to this country 3 years ago, lived in Fall River, left there one year ago last January, and was in Dedham last May; had written a letter to one Cor's Murphy on board the guard ship. Any person knowing anything of his present whereabouts will please address his mother, Margt Harington, 198 So Water st, New Bedford, Mass. He was 19 yrs old. Volume III: 1854 - 1856

19 February 1870 DENIS, JEREMIAH, TIMOTHY, CORNELIUS and MARY O’NEIL, children of Denis O’Neil and Margaret Murphy, of Ballakill, Bere Island, Castletown, Berehaven, county Cork. Any person knowing anything of them will please address Edward Maloy, 165 Dekaven street, Chicago, Illinois; the last place they were seen by their sister was in Eston, N. J.- Lowell papers please copy. Volume VI: 1866 - 1870

10 January 1857 MICHAEL DUN, of Bereisland, near Castletown Berehaven [co. Cork]. By addressing a line to Jeremiah O'Neil, No 19 Town Avenue, Fall River, Mass, he will hear of something to his advantage from his son Daniel, who is in California. Volume IV: 1857 - 1860

Offline feegord

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 May 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Fiona , i have only just found the site, my grandmother was brought up on Bere island her name was Margaret O Sullivan she had a sister Julia and brothers who emigrated to the USA plus another sister who went to USA, her father owned a farm as far as I know and the local pub , I believe there are still relatives of my grandmother on the island, please  contact me if you think you may be related or have any info , THANKS

Offline JennyJ87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 04:17 BST (UK) »

I am tracing my Bere Island family, does any one have O'Sullivan (Ukirre)  Harrington (Causkey)   Harrington (Caupey) or O'Leary (Reen)  in their trees.

I do have some information, but I know there must be some relitives on Bere Island

Thank you

Sheila

Hi! My name is Jennifer and I live in the United States. I believe we might be distant relatives.
My great-great grandfather was Michael O'Sullivan (Ukirre) and was born on Bere Island. His parents (my great great grandparents) were Cornelous O'Sullivan (Ukirre) and Margaret O'Leary (Reen).
Cornelius's mother was Catherine Harrington (Causkey).

Please message me. I have a family tree as a PDF and would gladly share my information with you!

Offline Sheils

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 23:01 GMT (UK) »

Thank you

Sheila

Hi! My name is Jennifer and I live in the United States. I believe we might be distant relatives.
My great-great grandfather was Michael O'Sullivan (Ukirre) and was born on Bere Island. His parents (my great great grandparents) were Cornelous O'Sullivan (Ukirre) and Margaret O'Leary (Reen).
Cornelius's mother was Catherine Harrington (Causkey).

Please message me. I have a family tree as a PDF and would gladly share my information with you!

Offline Sheils

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

Have just found your message, I know its nearly 2 yrs old, but any information you have would be great, will keep checking the messages, hope to hear from you.

Sheila

Offline JennyJ87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

Have just found your message, I know its nearly 2 yrs old, but any information you have would be great, will keep checking the messages, hope to hear from you.

Sheila

Hi Sheila! I'm still around. If you would like to email me my email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php