Author Topic: Whites of Kinsale, and Ahearn(?) of Glanmire >>  (Read 1106 times)

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
Whites of Kinsale, and Ahearn(?) of Glanmire >>
« on: Thursday 12 June 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have very limited info on the families, so a stab in the dark in case anyone happens to be researching these people!

I have a Patrick White born c1843, place of birth given as Kinsale on 1911 census, and Ellen Ahearn (or various spellings on all the children's birth certs), born c1840 in Glanmire. On 1911 they state that they had been married since around 1864, and their first child was born that year in Wales on 14th June.

I have no idea how common the surnames are in these areas, and a search for a marriage on the various websites has not been fruitful. Keep me in mind if you run across these surnames  ;D
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whites of Kinsale, and Ahearn(?) of Glanmire >>
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 June 14 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi ref Patrick White. He seems to give different year of birth on varying census's. As Civil registration didnt arrive in Ireland until 1864 people mostly guessed at their age. He stated on 1 census that he married in 1871.
www.irishgenealogy.ie has baptism/marriage records for Diocese of Cork & Ross which includes Kinsale.
There is an entry 28th Feb 1836 for a Pat White with parents Dan White & Joanna Mullins.
Have you looked at Familysearch.org for records :)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whites of Kinsale, and Ahearn(?) of Glanmire >>
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 June 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
RootsIreland has a church marriage record for a Patrick White to an Ellen Ahern in 1860, Kanturk RC parish, however, these are not uncommon names.

Record content is pay to view, but be aware that such records of that time may contain little information, for example, I couldn't establish any fathers' names in this marriage record using the index search.