Author Topic: 'Stewarts' in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Stewarts' in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
« on: Sunday 16 August 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
Still working on the WW1 Roll of Honour of Scotland's Dead, I have completed the 50 or so 'Stewarts' in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. I have two queries that I have not been able to resolve and I wondered if anyone might be able to help.

1. Lance Corporal W Stewart, age 33, died 25/10/1918, Service No 253959. He is shown as the son of John and Mary Gibson Stewart, of 13, Benvie Rd., Dundee, and the husband of Elizabeth E G Stewart, of 11, Weka Street, Taihape, New Zealand.

I would like to establish if he, like many Scots, came back from New Zealand to enlist, or if his wife emigrated after his death. 

2. Lance Corporal James Kerr Stewart, age 28, died 23/03/1916, Service No S/11070. He is shown as the son of H V and J K Stewart, of 144, 61st Street West, Vancouver, British Columbia. Of Dunfermline, Scotland.

As above, I would like to establish if he returned from Canada to enlist.

Thanks for any help.

Alistair

Offline kay2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 'Stewarts' in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 June 14 18:19 BST (UK) »
I am a relative of William Stewart from Dunfermline S/11869. I have a hand written letter by William asking his relatives back home to write to a James Stewart S/11070 8th Platoon , 2nd A & S Highlanders.  We  believe that the James you are discussing is the brother to our William Stewart. 
We also have family letters from Canada written by H Jack informing us of the death within the family.
The only difference we can find is that we have the parents names down as Henry and Jean Stewart.
Any information would be great to help us continue our family tree.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 'Stewarts' in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 June 14 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

In 1891, Henry Stewart, a Factory Gatekeeper, and Jane Stewart, lived with their children Margaret, William and James, at 11 Golfdrum Street, Dunfermline.

By 1901, Henry appears to have died, as Jane was living at 9 Fowler Terrace, Edinburgh with William, a Hairdresser, and James, a Baker's Message Boy.

I would be interested to see the letters you refer to, so if you care to share them, send me a PM and I will give you my email address.