Author Topic: wilkinson, alfred  (Read 15066 times)

Offline Tarth water

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: wilkinson, alfred
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 September 13 11:04 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that there's a bit of confusion here?  I was under the impression that Alfred and Elizabeth who married in 1899, had a son called Alfred who was born in Newlands parish and that the family lived at Goldie's Mill near Romanno Bridge for a time.  In the census of 1901, it notes that Elizabeth was living with her mother there and her son Alfred H Wilkinson, then aged 8. 

In an earlier post in this subject I said I had met Alf.  I assume it was the younger Alf I had met but I'll do some checking on this.

Offline lanarkshirelass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 September 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that there's a bit of confusion here?  I was under the impression that Alfred and Elizabeth who married in 1899, had a son called Alfred who was born in Newlands parish and that the family lived at Goldie's Mill near Romanno Bridge for a time.  In the census of 1901, it notes that Elizabeth was living with her mother there and her son Alfred H Wilkinson, then aged 8. 

In an earlier post in this subject I said I had met Alf.  I assume it was the younger Alf I had met but I'll do some checking on this.

You're absolutely right. Alfred Wilkinson married Elizabeth Henderson (my great great paternal grandparents) they had a son Alfred Henderson Wilkinson (who I think you are referring to) who married Elizabeth Mills (my great paternal grandparents) they went on to have David Henderson Wilkinson (My Papa), Duncan Wilkinson and Mary Wilkinson. I have some photographs of Alf and Elizabeth (II) if someone could explain how to attach them on here?

Offline Tarth water

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 September 13 17:23 BST (UK) »
My recollection was that Alf and Betty, as they were known to me, lived in Glasgow.  Possibly in Springburn.  I recently found a photo of Alfred senior in an army uniform from WW1.  I'll dig it out and attach it here when I get the chance.

Offline lanarkshirelass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 September 13 17:27 BST (UK) »
My recollection was that Alf and Betty, as they were known to me, lived in Glasgow.  Possibly in Springburn.  I recently found a photo of Alfred senior in an army uniform from WW1.  I'll dig it out and attach it here when I get the chance.

Yep you're spot on, Alf left Peebles and moved to Glasgow (Springburn) where he worked as a draper in Paisleys (I believe to get away from his overbearing mother lol). I have the wedding gift they were given (a set of cutlery) from Paisley's.

How do I attach photos?

Offline Tarth water

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 September 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
You go to the bottom of the screen to post a reply and it gives you the option to scan in images from there, I think.

Offline lanarkshirelass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 September 13 17:46 BST (UK) »
Ah, I have a more recent photography - I would imagine from the 70's of them, I'll dig it out and upload it too. And anything else you would like to know. How did you know Alf, I meant to ask?

Offline Tarth water

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 September 13 18:10 BST (UK) »
They used to visit my aunt who was the daughter of the other marriage on 31st December 1890.  Her parents were James Welsh and Mary Jane Henderson.  That would make the first Elizabeth Wilkinson her aunt.